real time web analytics
Thorpe bay high school, Southend on sea, Essex, June 2020 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Thorpe bay high school, Southend on sea, Essex, June 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Sprackles

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This is my first report so feel free to attack it as much as you like ;)

THERE IS CURRENTLY ONGOING ASBESTOS REMOVALS AT THIS LOCATION, PLEASE STAY SAFE.

1. Firstly the history of the school.

The history of the school is very scarce and quite hard to find, from what i have gathered it opened quite some time ago, a news report stated that a teacher had been working there since 1971 as a drama teacher. The schools headteacher was Mrs Jean Alder and it was a foundation type secondary school for both boys and girls aged between 11 and 16 and it also had a pupil capacity of 840. The school itself had a poor reputation with one news report stating 'Pupils spent six years in failing school' the school actually had the worst truancy rate in the county and it failed its office for standards in education inspection in June 1999, this ultimately led to its downfall after more inspections the school was going further downhill and was deemed 'unsatisfactory'.

It later closed on the 31/08/2007.

Shortly before its closure, Futures Community College was created in 2006 as a trustee school by Southend on Sea Borough, Prospects College and the UK government to try and lift Thorpe Bay High School out of special measures. In the end a bigger and new campus was built next door to the Thorpe bay high school and that was called Southchurch high school, the old Thorpe Bay High school was left behind and sealed off with wooden fencing and has slowly been forgotten about, only until the last year or so the school had been left untouched but has now been undergoing demolition work and asbestos removals.

(Sorry for the lack of information about the school it was really hard to find history about this and is very confusing as its name has been changed numerous times)

2. The explore.

I first heard about this place from a Facebook page forum when a neighbour took pictures of the school from their back garden complaining about its state, this was my first lead.
I decided I wanted to try and find it so i made my way to Southend, i had no information to the whereabouts of the school so i begun searching schools in my maps and decided to drive to each one and see what i could find. After around 4 different schools i had south church high school in my maps and i headed to this location, this is when I discovered the construction site style wooden fencing and Knew this is what i was looking for.

The front entrance was on a fairly busy road and it was around 1pm so it was little too busy to go in from that way, so we headed around the back of the school to try and find a better access point which we did fairly easily. We made it to the back of the school playground and hopped over the fence into the site. We noticed a few cameras but they didnt seem to be working so we proceeded, access to the school was not easy, at first it seemed like every window and door we tried was either locked or screwed shut. This made us try the roof for an access point too which we was successful.

Once inside we begun the 'proper urbex' everything was still intact and had been left behind, classrooms were completely filled with random stuff like files and old booklets from students, there was a two woodwork classes that had random tools scattered about and little projects that pupils have built. The staffroom was upstairs and very nice place to take a break and have a drink, the condition of the place was great with little decay anywhere. The sports hall and dance room were both cool places, and we had some fun in the sports hall as we was able to move the climbing frames and even climb the ropes. The whole place was extremely lit up with loads roof lights allowing us to see all of it. The corridors were cool and a funny design. My favourite room had to be the science labs, it even had that smell that just reminded me of science in my own school, and in one of the back rooms had a science booth where teachers would demonstrate chemical reactions etc.

I went back at a later date and this was at night and only a week ago, access was much easier but sadly the school had beginning its demolition stage with two buildings been completely demolished, this is when i noticed the asbestos removals taking place so i didn't hang around for too long.

3. The pictures.

1. Dance hall.
IMG_2283.jpeg

2. Dance hall.

IMG_2285.jpeg

3. Dance Hall (again)
IMG_2287.jpeg

4. Sports Hall
IMG_2288.jpeg

5. Sports hall
IMG_2289.jpeg

6. Stairwell
IMG_2291.jpeg

7. Science lab
IMG_2296.jpeg
IMG_2299.jpeg

8. Corridor
IMG_2300.jpeg

9. Another corridor (night)
IMG_3005.jpeg

10. Main entrance.
IMG_3007.jpeg

11. Reception office.
IMG_3008.jpeg

12. Another corridor (night)
IMG_3014.jpeg

13. Dance Hall (night)

IMG_3015.jpeg

14. Mini Cue.

IMG_3017.jpeg

15. Boiler room.
IMG_3020.jpeg

16. Exit to the building.
IMG_3021.jpeg

Thank you very much for reading my report and i hope you enjoyed it.

Stay safe and keep on exploring.

Sprackles.

Llama

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Good to see you posting mate, definitely got to check this one out. I’ll see ya soon man :thumb

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Very nice, well done on 1st report. Youve done an excellent job. Very well written & fab showcasing. Welcome to 28 dls. Keep em coming :thumb

Eggy85

28DL Member
28DL Member
Loved reading this and seeing the pictures,I attended this school from 96 to 01 weird seeing it like this lol.

bignickb

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I used to live near here, it's a shame it was pulled down! Is Southend High for Girls still standing? Nice report! :-)

aajr93

28DL Member
28DL Member
Hey. Thanks for sharing. I was a student here about 14 years ago and wanted to see some pictures of the place. I've since moved abroad so I didn't know if it was still standing or not. Really enjoyed the photos.
I can confirm that the school was really terrible. Nobody who went there (when they did attend) was interested in learning anything. The school had its own police officer stationed there. There were often fights and it was common that the kids would assault teachers. I left after 2 years because of fellow-students and how poor the education was. Impossible to teach anything when the kids were as bad as they were!

Who has read this thread (Total: 234) View details