real time web analytics
Question - - Thoughts on the D300? | Kit / Clothing / Equipment | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - Thoughts on the D300?

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Screw Loose

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Was playing around in a camera shop today and came across a Nikon D300 - after a good chat with the bloke who manages the shop and lots of playing around I must admit I was very impressed with the camera as a whole - however on coming back home and looking around, it's knocking on for 12 years old, and spec wise it's not all that great - at the moment I'm using a Sony a 200 and I'm in dire need of an upgrade! Anyone got any advice on this? Any experience with the D300? The bloke in the shop was selling it as God's greatest gift but if course he's after the sale.

Thanks in advance!

tigger

mog
Regular User
The spec I'd say was perfectly reasonable (unless you want lots more bells and whistles). A selling point for the urbex community might be that it's built with an alloy body not just plastic - they are tough and will take a bit of bashing. Reasonably weather resistant too. Definitely at the professional end of the market despite being a crop sesnor. Possible advantage over Canon (not that they do an equivalent model really) is that pretty much any F-series lens will work with it. Battery life seems good

I have a D300 and also a D300S but now tend to use full frame more. They will still do the job if necessary.

One thing I'll add now is that any camera is only any good if you use it.
My youngest son loves the fact that my Nikons have much better viewfinders than the bottom/mid-range Canons BUT he finds that they aren't comfortable in his (small) hands so he's unlikley to to change. In my case I chose the D300 as it's a full size body and suited my chunky hands (so did the Canon 1D but I couldn't have afforded that at the time). Before making your mind up try the camera out (if the shop won't let you do that then go elsewhere for your camera purchases). Try holding it, using the controls, taking a few photos.

Happy to try and answer any specific questions

A couple of images taken with the D300s in both cases using an 18-200 DX lens

25177508780_e0fd172f70_o.jpg

25469122705_3287ab627c_o.jpg

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User
As Tigger says the D300 is knocking on a bit but I have used mine for the last 10 years and have had no complaints with it and I am still using it today and thanks to the weather sealing it has survived some damp and dusty places and suffered no ill effects.
Its a great camera in my opinion and cheap as chips now to buy on ebay, and you certainly wont be disappointed with the spec for a first DSLR.
Its an oldie but goodie :)

DrGonzo

Hello Officer
28DL Full Member
Absolutely fantastic camera for the money. I have had one for about 3 months and love it. Build quality is fantastic and the ability of being able to use all the old F-Mount lenses is great. Can easily find second hand MF lenses dirt cheap with fantastic optical quality. Shouldn't pay more than £150 for a body in perfect condition with low shutter count.

Who has read this thread (Total: 5) View details