real time web analytics
Report - - Throstle Nest No. 3/3A railway tunnels, Manchester - May 2017 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Throstle Nest No. 3/3A railway tunnels, Manchester - May 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

TVurbex

TV Locations Aficionado
28DL Full Member
Not loads to see on this one but interesting all the same and a nice little story behind the explore...

History

Used by the Cheshire Lines Committee (a.k.a. the Cheshire Lines Railway) and Midland Railway (later, the London, Midland and Scottish Railway) between 1880 and 1988, these tunnels once connected the Liverpool and Manchester Railway at Cornbrook to Chorlton; part of the route forming today's Metrolink network.

Explore
I wasn't sure what, but something about the area took my interest. There was an intriguing aspect that I couldn't quite put my finger on. After having a bit of a nosy, I bumped into a couple of German guys who initially claimed to be tram-spotting. However, it quickly came to light that this was a hastily put together cover story - perhaps because they didn't want to be reported to foreign authorities for trespassing - but soon realised that I posed no threat and explained that they'd come to Manchester on an urbex trip.

The sun was setting, so I decided to call it a day, but returned the next day to explore. As I clumsily and ungracefully gained access to the cutting (see below), a curious passer-by spotted me and I was ready - like the German explorers - to make something up (although the truth would have probably sufficed). However, it turns out that, he'd actually bumped into the very same Germans in the very same spot the day before and had decided to walk by and have another look on his way home from an X Factor audition of all places...

I weighed up the risk of him being a serial killer (as I'm sure he did with me) against my fear of exploring these tunnels alone and decided that the latter was scarier, so explore together we did. Here's the pics:

33872079193_63025a97f2_c.jpg

Overgrown cutting between the two tunnels.

34551632671_b019bdb176_c.jpg

Tunnel 3 - passing under Talbot Road, site of Chester House and Boyer Street.
Complete with 'cave' spiders and dangling egg sacs :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

33872069053_ec73080a17_c.jpg

Tunnel 3 - blockage; beneath Manchester Audi.

34520332662_9816f2fb47_c.jpg

Tunnel 3A - start; looking towards Metrolink line.

33872081283_b71ac35352_c.jpg

Tunnel 3A - passing under the site of Talbot House and Old Trafford Bowling Club.

34641548406_673a60f04c_c.jpg

Tunnel 3A - end; Metrolink line towards St. Werburgh’s Road.

Thanks for reading :thumb