real time web analytics
Report - - Thyssen Sinteranlage, Duisberg, Germany - Jan 2011 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Thyssen Sinteranlage, Duisberg, Germany - Jan 2011

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

RaymondKHessel

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thyssen Sinteranlage, located in Duisberg (WNW Germany) was a former Sintering plant owned by ThyssenKrupp. Sintering is the process of developing materials from powder. The powder is heated within Sintering furnaces until the particles adhere to each other. The process was increasingly adopted from the early 20th century as it provided various advantages such as product purity, control, uniformity and the ability to create various compounds. This control over the sintering process allowed manufacturer's to alter the properties of the final product by adjusting the environment in which the sintering is carried out.

I couldn't find a huge amount of information referring to this specific plant. Only that it was build in 1910 and eventually abandoned in 1995.

During our visit there was still a pretty thick (by British standards anyway) layer of snow and ice on the ground which made access (climbing up a pretty steep embankment) a bit more challenging than it may have been otherwise, but the site is generally very open.

The whole place is basically a huge rusty giant. I'm unsure to what extent, if any, equipment has been removed but there is still plenty left behind. Old furnaces, conveyor belts and other industrial beasts are crammed into production buildings, while other floors and buildings seem to be ominously empty with massive holes in the ceilings and floors which may suggest a level of equipment removal.

The site seemed (to me at least) to be separated into 3 portions. The chimney stack and the buildings which surrounded this. These mostly seemed to be locker rooms and wash facilities for workers. A large production building of around 5-6 floors which appeared to house the old sintering furnaces and lastly the mass of rusty chimney stacks and walkways connected to the main building. I'm no industrialist so I'm not entirely sure what role these played but it was an amazing (and slightly terrifying) experience clambering around inside this rusty jungle. I'm not entirely sure how long we spent at the site but it's certainly an 'all-dayer' if you want to see everything.

The site doesn't appear to have any active security (we met two more photographers while in there) although there were relatively recent looking car tracks in the snow which appeared to circle around the building (I'm not sure if the road to the site is open to the public). There are also live sites, namely a railway yard nearby which any potential explorers may want to take into account. Duisberg generally appears to be a relatively thriving industrial town so if you're interested in that and are in the area it's definitely worth a visit.

I should just say thanks to Morse for suggesting we visit the site, we would have passed it by otherwise and it was definitely one of the best explores of my trip to Germany.

DSC_0375.jpg

DSC_0382.jpg

DSC_0437.jpg

DSC_04542.jpg

DSC_0401.jpg

DSC_0473.jpg

DSC_0481.jpg

DSC_05112.jpg

DSC_05122.jpg

DSC_05802.jpg

DSC_05902.jpg

DSC_06252.jpg