real time web analytics
Tips for a new photographer | Photography and Video Forum | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Tips for a new photographer

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Agree with above, u can just shoot in auto & some do forever but your photography will step up a level once u start using manual.
I just use hand held torch for all my dark places & never have an issue (have a look at some of my threads).
As mentioned good tripod is pretty essential if u in anywhere dark, I can pretty much get away doing handheld up to 0.3sec shutter but any slower & have to b on tripod
I assume the 4000 has a live view? That's much easier for getting exposures right when exploring.
As someone mentioned a good bag is worth it's weight in gold too.

zombizza

Sore Knee
Regular User
Shoot in RAW. for the vast majority of my derelict photography i never did and boy do i regret it.
You can pretty much rescue any photo in raw. I had one occasion where my mode dial got changed accidentally. It was in a rather frantic session where I was on the run from security so I did not check my images as I was taking them. They were all several stops under exposed as a result-they essentially looked black on the screen. But because I had shot in RAW I was able to increase exposure to normal and get all the details back. I in fact bracket all my shots. This means I can pick the best of 3 when looking through them. Quite often the under exposed 1 turns out to be the best.

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Shoot in RAW. for the vast majority of my derelict photography i never did and boy do i regret it.
You can pretty much rescue any photo in raw. I had one occasion where my mode dial got changed accidentally. It was in a rather frantic session where I was on the run from security so I did not check my images as I was taking them. They were all several stops under exposed as a result-they essentially looked black on the screen. But because I had shot in RAW I was able to increase exposure to normal and get all the details back. I in fact bracket all my shots. This means I can pick the best of 3 when looking through them. Quite often the under exposed 1 turns out to be the best.

been there too, knocked my wb to florescent in one place I knew I wasnt getting back in!
Everything came out yellowed, bit gutted but managed to pull em back in lightroom.

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User
been there too, knocked my wb to florescent in one place I knew I wasnt getting back in!
Everything came out yellowed, bit gutted but managed to pull em back in lightroom.

I shot without RAW for a long time but it makes a big difference for photos in dark places or night, or overexposed shots for that matter. I set my camera to take both jpeg and raw and then delete all but the shots I want to play with the lighting for, as otherwise it eats your storage

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I shot without RAW for a long time but it makes a big difference for photos in dark places or night, or overexposed shots for that matter. I set my camera to take both jpeg and raw and then delete all but the shots I want to play with the lighting for, as otherwise it eats your storage

Ditto I shoot RAW & jpeg large now a days

Llama

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The main tips I would say is:

1. Rule of thirds for good composition
2. Understand shutter speed, ISO, aperture to expose correctly
3. Understand what different effects zoomed and wide focal lengths give
4. KEEP HORIZONS STRAIGHT! (It makes such a difference)
5. Once you're comfortable try long exposures in dark places/at night
And definitely ditch the kit-lens when possible aye Liam ;)

daisychole

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hello,
It's good to buy a new camera for a new journey. You need to watch YouTube videos to learn various tactics of photography before your photoshoot. I think you will learn interesting tips on YouTube.

Andrew32

See a sticker, remove a sticker
28DL Full Member
I totally changed how I took photos when I learned from estate agent tutorials, editing photos is a must especially having dark rooms and the bright windows in every shot. I purely take photos in manual mode, while my old 650d had magiclantern software so it automatically took multiple different exposures, now with an 80d its all manual again

Scoobysrt

Teim scoobs
28DL Full Member

Who has read this thread (Total: 164) View details