real time web analytics
Report - - Todmorden ROC Post - Todmorden - Feb 2013 | ROC Posts | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Todmorden ROC Post - Todmorden - Feb 2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Todmorden ROC Post – Todmorden

1_zpse0a9b354.jpg

History

Situated on a low mound in a small rectangular compound, 100 yards away from a small country road, on the bleak Pennine moorland is the Todmorden Royal Observation Corps (ROC) post. The post opened in July 1961 and closed in October 1968.

All surface features remain intact with the louvres on the ventilation shaft and the access hatch missing. A little green paint remains. Internally there is 4 inches of water on the floor as well as a number of broken sheets of asbestos and the counter balance from the hatch. Twin bunks, a single bed and the cupboard (no doors), table (detached) remain. The monitoring room door has gone and the toilet door is detached, broken and floating in the main room.

My Visit

A day of fails saw me passing through Todmordon on my way home, so decided to pop up onto the moors and take a couple of pretty landscape shots at the Bridestones/Kebs. As they came into view so did the colossal ramparts of this ROC post, I screeched to a halt scattering the sheep in the field at the anticipation of managing to get an explore done today. After managing to evade the high security and difficult access, luck was obviously on my side the access hatch was missing allowing me to slip in undetected, even by the sheep.

2_zps74731cb5.jpg

5_zps675fdfac.jpg

4_zpsf011865a.jpg

Not too much inside, couple of rusty beds, cupboard, women’s boots, clothing, whip...........!

3_zpsec7d1cbd.jpg

Back on the surface my attention was focused on the circular array of what looked like some Heath Robinson scaffolding with funny round things sat on it about 100m away. There was no indication as to what it did, but given the funny little transmitting devices and location I decided it probably wasn’t worth getting too close to.

6_zpsa7266269.jpg

7_zps3bfb210d.jpg

I found out what it was on my way back out, some sort of navigational device for Aircraft, owned and managed by NATS (National Air Traffic Services).

Well after all that excitement I nearly forgot my pretty landscape pics.

8_zps47f6cd00.jpg

That’s it folks, hope you enjoyed.

Cheers

TLR​