real time web analytics
Report - - Tolly Cobbold Brewery, Ipswich - June 2014 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Tolly Cobbold Brewery, Ipswich - June 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Session9

A life backwards
28DL Full Member
History

The business that became Cliff Brewery was started in 1723 ( in Kings Quay Street, Harwich) by Thomas Cobbold and is believed to be the second oldest independent brewery in England. It stood above the quays of the River Orwell at Ipswich, since 1746. The Cobbolds have an important status in Ipswich as the family were landowners in the town and surrounding area. Christchurch Park was donated to "The people of Ipswich" by the family, along with many other donations of land such as Ipswich Racecourse. The family also provided several Members of Parliament for Ipswich over the years. In addition they have provided five chairmen of Ipswich Town Football Club, Lady Blanche Cobbold was President of the Club for many years, ITFC have even named part of a stand in their stadium and a prestigious member's club after the Cobbold family.

Eventually Cobbold merged with local rival, Tollemache Breweries in 1957 to form Tolly Cobbold. The brewery ceased operations in 2002, when the Tolly Cobbold company merged with Ridley's brewery. The site has been abandoned ever since and is now in a pretty poor state no thanks to copper thieves and the effects of nature.

The explore

During a flying visit to Essex the last thing i thought i would have time to partake in would be a spot of mooching. However, opportunity knocked and a few enjoyable hours were passed at this fine building. Having come to Tolly's two years ago and had my entrance scuppered by a BT bod and van, who managed to redefine the meaning 'a long lunch break', the site had been on my wish list for sometime. With BT bod having now completed his lunch break, only my good self made entry a hell of a lot harder than it needed to be :rolleyes:.

Having left my DSLR at home because of my wish to travel light, my 'just in case' point and shoot was given a rare outing instead...

a_zps84a390e4.jpg

a1_zpsef237c86.jpg

b_zps03f03763.jpg

c_zpsa81b6900.jpg

d_zpsd596a135.jpg

e_zps10067495.jpg

6. The original copper sugar dissolving vessel from the original Harwich Brewery from 1723 can be seen top right.
Much of the original buildings were used as a museum from 1989 until closure in 2002 (hence label on the copper vessel), whilst brewing continued on a reduced scale in the modern buildings at the back of the site (partly now demolished).

f_zps95f3b114.jpg

7. The top of the sugar dissolving vessel.

g_zps9a6e24bd.jpg

h_zps81998d2f.jpg

i_zps588475e2.jpg

10. There's something beautiful about layers of pigeon plop, don't you think?

j_zps8e3c327a.jpg

k_zps02da5f82.jpg

l_zpsf5cb3553.jpg

m_zps73408ce7.jpg

n_zps4a506953.jpg

15. I'm going for the unframed brewery prints...

o_zpsa8579c3d.jpg

16. Love the roof detail with the finial.

p_zps911d4675.jpg

17. Time for a pint after a thirsty mooch... only The Brewery Tap is closed at this lunchtime :eek:

q_zpsc721c6b9.jpg

18. Now, if you think this reports bullshit, have one of these...

Thanks for looking folks! :)

Southside UE

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Cracking set fella, was wondering when u would put these up. Looks well worth a mooch does that. Nice one mate :thumb

The Lone Shadow

Industrial Fanatic!
28DL Full Member
Its not the equipment that counts, but the photographer :thumb
And you have proved what a good photographer is capable of attaining ;)
I remember that "Bullsh*t" drink - Ah the alcopop days.

The Lone Shadow

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
No wonder they went under, they were making a loss on every place mat they sold!

Gonna have the copper as a hot tub one day!

pauln

too old to be reckless
28DL Full Member
Good set of pics. The biggest piles of bird crap ever I seem to recall.

Session9

A life backwards
28DL Full Member
Looks good that mate! Always nice to find an oppurtune explore! We'll have to get something sorted soon, i've had a month or so out of the game and could do with a mooch somewhere :)

And you can't beat a pint of bullshit haha :D

Cheers HT! Yeah, it certainly hasn't been an Indian Summer of mooching... so far. That will change next month with any luck. :)
The great brew (finest in the land) of bullshit, strangely had no effect on me ;)

norfolkexplorer

Quite often seen exploring further than Norfolk
28DL Full Member
Such a cool little site there, and nicely done. I was shooting a model there mid week in the so called summer and 2 other groups came in as well