real time web analytics
Report - - Tomioka (Fukushima) Yellow Zone Japan - Jan 2017 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Tomioka (Fukushima) Yellow Zone Japan - Jan 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

djalexr

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Apologies for the late report as we visited Fukushima district almost exactly one year ago now. Have only just got round to uploading any photos.

These photo's were taken in the town of Tomioka, which is situated in the Fukushima nuclear disaster yellow zone. The town was badly damaged in the Tohoku earthquake, and the coastal areas devastated by the associated tsunami. When the radiation levels became clear the next day it was evacuated and included in the Yellow Exclusion Zone. This means it is illegal to stay in the area overnight due to concerns over the level of radiation. There are hourly loudspeaker announcements (often emanating from unseen speakers) reminding you of this fact.

It is definitely the weirdest, creepiest and most heartbreaking place I have ever visited. When we first got out of the car the only sounds you could hear were birdsong and a metal sign creaking in the wind. In other areas this was only punctuated by the speaker announcements and the rumble of construction trucks carrying radioactive soil to vast dumping grounds.

As you can see from the photo's people were forced to leave without having chance to take any of their belongings with them. Some of them still have not been re-housed. If this can happen in Japan, the most efficient, health and safety conscious place I have ever visited, it can happen anywhere. Fuck nuclear power! If something similar happened at Hinkley this is what Bristol would look like.

Preparation at Gamphouse hostel
Very basic.. more like a homestay. Nearby the site, very friendly owners whose livelihood has been almost destroyed by the disaster. would recommend!

1.jpg

High Street

4.jpg

6.jpg

8.jpg

16.jpg

20.jpg

Residential

22.jpg
21.jpg

25.jpg

School
46.jpg

48.jpg

49.jpg

51.jpg

53.jpg

58.jpg

Water/sewage treatment plant

67.jpg

69.jpg

78.jpg

81.jpg

87.jpg

89.jpg

90.jpg

93.jpg

95.jpg

104.jpg

105.jpg

Last edited:

djalexr

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Car showroom
107.jpg
108.jpg

109.jpg

111.jpg

112.jpg

116.jpg

119.jpg

120.jpg

121.jpg

Fashion store

123.jpg

127.jpg

125.jpg

128.jpg
132.jpg

135.jpg

Arcade

139.jpg

140.jpg

141.jpg

145.jpg

147.jpg

151.jpg
152.jpg
154.jpg
156.jpg
159.jpg

162.jpg

Thanks for viewing. This is just a fraction of the photos we got at this site. Let me know if you want more... or PM me if you want to find out about some other sites that will blow your mind! Stay safe everyone

Last edited:

UrbanFoxCub

Explore and love the adventure
Banned
A+ Cracking! That scooby and the arcade! Jesus!

Is this a permission tour/visit ?
Or can you just go here?

djalexr

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
@UrbanFoxCub

Yes you can just go there if you're in the area...wouldn't be hard to get into the red zone either but just definitely not a good idea