real time web analytics
Report - - Tone Mills, Wellington - December, 2011 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Tone Mills, Wellington - December, 2011

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

thecrazyfool

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Visited one early December. I was in the area for a birthday party and popped along to visit the Mill on the way back to the big smoke of London.

I was amazed all the machinery in place in the mill. All of it left in-situ and looking back to a by-gone era when Britain ruled the way for making good wool clothing! It looks like something from the turn of the industrial revolution and you could imagine workers slaving away here!

Water mill works, big machinery, chimneys and history being a Grade 2 listed site. What else could you want?!

There were notices for asbestos and toxic waste (not the by-product of a late night kebab from the party I went to!), so if you’re concerned…better bring a mask. Sadly we were unable to get into to the other complex, but I’m sure next time. This visit was more of a flash explore before heading home to avoid the traffic. Flashgun battery was flat and torchlight was having a fit and finally the tripod was left in London! Doh. I’ll remember to check next time before going somewhere far!

Anyway a brief history to bring context to the explore and pictures (extracts from wikipedia):

The Fox family established the mill in 1772. The Tonedale mill complex includes two listed buildings, some of which were still being used until 2000….The mills were established in 1772 by Fox Brothers Mill which produced wool cloth for Savile Row, desingers and clients around the world.

The Prince's Regeneration Trust have now been supporting the Tone Mill Regeneration Partnership in attempting to preserve and regenerate the area with a mixed development for commercial and residential use. It is included in the Buildings at Risk Register produced by English Heritage.

Pictures:

IMG_7480.gif

View attachment 402532

View attachment 402535

View attachment 402539

View attachment 402544

View attachment 402549

View attachment 402550

View attachment 402555

View attachment 402560

View attachment 402564

View attachment 402568