real time web analytics
Report - - Tonedale Mill, Wellington 2016 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Tonedale Mill, Wellington 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

TheTimeChamber

Torch Wavker
Regular User
Second one for the day!

I have to admit, I am not always that good at hitting the road and seeing places I really want to see. For this reason, I have missed Asylums, Industries and other random places that have looked cool all over the country! The Fox Brother mills in Wellington have been on my list since they first appeared some ten years ago, but being quite far into the West Country I have never made it down to see them., That was until a random weekend back in 2016 when I was down that way visiting family and had a spare day to myself.

This complex is amazing in my opinion. It has large cavernous space, heavily derelict areas and rotten floors that crack under foot. The icing on the cake is old industrial equipment interspersed around the buildings that are from a bygone era - where else could you find old hot riveted boilers still encased in bricks alongside unused coal? I am serious, I would like to know and go there. Sadly, whilst English Heritage have listed the place but advised that due to the scale of the complex and economic reasons, conversion may not be possible. I read this as it being at risk of going.

On a side note, hopping the stream is ill advisable if you do not quite make the landing. I went knee (thankfully, not balls) deep in mud. A sI did this on the way out, the car was ruined when I got back to it

DDD_6458-42-resize.jpg

DDD_6278-1-resize.jpg

DDD_6299-5-resize.jpg

DDD_6309-8-resize.jpg

DDD_6318-10-resize.jpg

DDD_6342-14-resize.jpg

DDD_6370-18-resize.jpg

DDD_6381-21-resize.jpg

DDD_6386-23-resize.jpg

This place is worth it for the engine / fire pump alone

DDD_6402-28-resize.jpg

DDD_6442-41-resize.jpg

DDD_6404-29-resize.jpg

I kind of want to glaze these boilers in, build a glass platform over them and turn it into a coffee shop lol

DDD_6406-30-resize.jpg

DDD_6409-31-resize.jpg

DDD_6419-36-resize.jpg

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
One of the best engine rooms/boiler houses of any mill in the country, it's an absolute belter and made up for the rest of the place being somewhat stripped.

Conversion into housing restarted at some point a few years ago after being stalled for so long.

ikkdjct

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Have to hurry then to go and have a look. Been to the Tonedale Works just up the road but did not have enough time to visit the Mill before Lockdown. Wish lockdown finishes soon!

Carl Hargreaves

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Just love this place, Real industrial Britain. Would of liked to seen the place in full swing back in the day.