real time web analytics
Report - - Tonedale Mill Wellington May 2015 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Tonedale Mill Wellington May 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Jane Doe

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Tonedale Mills, including Tone Mills, was a large wool factory in Wellington, Somerset that was the largest woollen mill in South West England. Owned by Fox Brothers, it was most famous for the production of “Taunton serge”, and later the khaki dye used by the British Army. The mill was established in the middle of the eighteenth century, and thrived during the industrial revolution. At its peak, around 6,500 metres (21,300 ft) of material was produced at the factory each day. The cheap cost of producing fabric in third-world countries contributed to the factory mostly closing during the 1980s

chills

Queller of the uprising
Few nice snaps there, loving that Alien piece and that culvert/brook certainly looks interesting!

Seffy

SWC
Staff member
I never tire of seeing reports from this or Tone Mills; a UE classic if there every was one. Decent report :)

Jane Doe

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Few nice snaps there, loving that Alien piece and that culvert/brook certainly looks interesting!
Thank you Chills it was a shame i didnt have more time as would liked to have gone down the stream as it looked really intriguing

Jane Doe

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I never tire of seeing reports from this or Tone Mills; a UE classic if there every was one. Decent report :)
Thank you Seffy , its certainly a beautiful mill ...dont know whats happening with it now thou as i havent had a chance to go back .

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Industry mixed with nature, lovely set. looks peaceful. Like the old gallon gauge and the up stream shot of the mill. Nice explore:thumb

Carl Hargreaves

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I always head straight to any reports on this place, especially any pics of the engine rooms. I like to see the Allen generator, because I've got a Allen engine here saved from a pumping station.

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Thank you Seffy , its certainly a beautiful mill ...dont know whats happening with it now thou as i havent had a chance to go back .

Conversion began again last year but ran out of steam and has since stopped once more, with the buildings being much more heavily secured now than they were five or so years ago.

Jane Doe

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Conversion began again last year but ran out of steam and has since stopped once more, with the buildings being much more heavily secured now than they were five or so years ago.
Thanks Mookster for the update

Imba

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Apparently security is even more tight now after a girl fell from one of the upper floors