real time web analytics
Report - - Tonedale & Tone Mills, Somerset - April 2015 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Tonedale & Tone Mills, Somerset - April 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

TallRich

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Tuesday night, I was sat at home wondering what the weekend would bring and idly messaged @Oort to see if he fancied a trip to Tonedale, he did and it turns out so did quite a few others!

Visited with @Oxygen Thief, @Idavoll, @Oort, @Seffy, @Styru and @The Queen. great to meet you all (again :rolleyes:)

The day started out really nice, but got greyer and was starting to rain by the time we got back to the cars, that didnt stop us having a great chat with @Oxygen Thief and @Seffy for an hour before we hit the road :thumb

History: (Pinched from the BBC - but at least its different)

Tonedale Mill was a wool factory which once covered an impressive seven acres with a collection of 19th Century redbrick buildings on the site of the town’s old flour mill.

In this noisy, bustling environment Fox Brothers Limited produced puttees for British troops in World War One. These bandage-like strips of knitted wool would bind a soldier’s leg from knee to ankle. Certainly uncomfortable but an essential piece of kit in the trenches where knee-high leather boots were rare and every step through the black, glutinous mud was treacherous.

From the late Victorian era until the middle of the 20th Century, the British military became an important customer to Fox Brothers. During WW1, more than 8,000 miles of cloth from Wellington was used by the British and Allied governments and puttees became a record breaker for the firm. The largest single order for textiles placed during the war was for 852 miles of cloth to make puttees. Using wool brought in from Watchet and Topsham, thousands of mainly local women worked on the deafening machinery before the finished products were shipped to the Front.

I took loads of pics at both sites, but wanted to try not to share the obvious shots of machinery, instead showing some of the great features and detail. - ok i did fail a bit, but couldn't resist!

Tonedale Mill

1) Most of the air extraction system was belt driven, just like much of the other machinery, That big fan must have shifted some air!
rO9iWA8.jpg

2)
OJ7wMea.jpg

3) A loading winch survives on one of the upper levels
vlqbHMo.jpg

4) The one I couldnt resist throwing in
xx8yvAZ.jpg

5) The floor was dodgy here!
TrIFfYx.jpg

6) Shouldnt that be one a roof?
RbuRB2v.jpg

7) The view of the chimney from the water wheel
tFlEbTS.jpg

8) A large generator in the boiler room
WsXfBRT.jpg

9)
bptXMt8.jpg

10) Out of steam
DVH8KcO.jpg

11) Do they still make things this well?
1SV9O0w.jpg

12)
DJPRkh3.jpg

13)
gQNRZW4.jpg

Continued...

TallRich

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Tone Mill

1) Triklon
E6U6gj0.jpg

2) or what?
ATHqYQz.jpg

3) some of the pulleys are really detailed
Wn7poVP.jpg

4) a higher up shot, the roofspace was great, i didnt bang my head once :-)
s0icWBy.jpg

5)
fOZazZZ.jpg

6)
etRCbxw.jpg

7) The stories this lamp could tell...
PeNw3Eh.jpg

8) I could look at this for ages and still not see it all, I can only imagine the noise the place must have made when it was in full production!
iRzLoam.jpg

9) One of the last pieces of cloth produced is still hanging on the rollers, slowly falling to bits
1sg91E9.jpg

10)
z1Iw5BR.jpg

11)
b3kg17b.jpg

12) A Rozalex Barrier cream dispenser
PkQVZlh.jpg

13)
SlmAd3l.jpg

14)
eFrWNvi.jpg

15) Another of those nice belt driven fans
O8ScoKo.jpg

16)
8RYoe7y.jpg

17) Has @Oort been "middle class exploring" again?!?
07l0uVy.jpg

18) The roof space was great, I love old timber frame buildings
yxkSK7Q.jpg

19)
Bq0iymL.jpg

Thanks for looking :thumb

Seffy

SWC
Staff member
Comprehensive set there dude. I think you took a photo that had a few of us in, which I thought would be good, did it turn out well? It was in Tone Mills when you were standing up higher than the rest of us..

TallRich

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Comprehensive set there dude. I think you took a photo that had a few of us in, which I thought would be good, did it turn out well? It was in Tone Mills when you were standing up higher than the rest of us..
This one?
YQSarg0.jpg

I posted it in people pics, wasn't sure who wanted their faces blurred so i did the lot :-)

Who has read this thread (Total: 6) View details