real time web analytics
Information - - Torch Buying Guide & FAQ - 2021 (Updated) | Kit / Clothing / Equipment | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Information - Torch Buying Guide & FAQ - 2021 (Updated)

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Ya Boy Croy

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I have to admit I completely forgot! I might do a mini update as there's not really any great changes. A few new lights out worth a mention though.
Looking forward to it! Love the guides you've created so far, a lot of great information for fellow explorers! :thumb

Hessian

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks for the informative post, looks like I've got some shopping to do.

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User
Great stuff thanks for this guide - I'm sure this has helped many. Currently tempted by the Sofin SC31, although the ThruNite TC15 also looks good. One thing I'm wondering is how good are these going to be at lighting up the ends of medium-length tunnels?

I don't want so much throw that its no longer useful for seeing where you're going, but I already have a SmallRig filming light panel for close distance so this will mainly be to light-paint more distant stuff. I'm also keen on 5000k or warmer. Any other suggestions would be excellent.

Grom

Camera Drowner
Regular User
Great stuff thanks for this guide - I'm sure this has helped many. Currently tempted by the Sofin SC31, although the ThruNite TC15 also looks good. One thing I'm wondering is how good are these going to be at lighting up the ends of medium-length tunnels?

I don't want so much throw that its no longer useful for seeing where you're going, but I already have a SmallRig filming light panel for close distance so this will mainly be to light-paint more distant stuff. I'm also keen on 5000k or warmer. Any other suggestions would be excellent.

You have two options really, something like the SC31 or TC15 which is more of a medium throw/medium flood type light that could light the end of a tunnel without a laser like beam. If you want something that's warmish/neutral then look at the Wurkkos FC11 5000K (The 90CRI version).

The other option is to get a zoomie torch with adjustable focus. I'd normally go for a normal fixed lens, but for light painting they are perfect as they are like an adjustable paint brush. Finding one that is warmish though is tricky. Most focusable Led Lensers have very cool white LED's, but the focus optics are fantastic. It's the reason I modified my Led Lenser M7 to use a better LED.

The Convoy Z1 is a pretty bright zoomie and comes with a 5000K SST-40 option and is pretty neutral. Cheap too. (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001237268675.html)

@Brewtal has a Fenix FD41 that is focusable but has really interesting optics that acts more like a normal torch with a bit of a hotspot, and he loved that thing last time I spoke to him. It's pretty old now and only about 900 lumen, but amazon do still sell it. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N407H5R/?tag=networkmechan-21

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User
You have two options really, something like the SC31 or TC15 which is more of a medium throw/medium flood type light that could light the end of a tunnel without a laser like beam. If you want something that's warmish/neutral then look at the Wurkkos FC11 5000K (The 90CRI version).

The other option is to get a zoomie torch with adjustable focus. I'd normally go for a normal fixed lens, but for light painting they are perfect as they are like an adjustable paint brush. Finding one that is warmish though is tricky. Most focusable Led Lensers have very cool white LED's, but the focus optics are fantastic. It's the reason I modified my Led Lenser M7 to use a better LED.

The Convoy Z1 is a pretty bright zoomie and comes with a 5000K SST-40 option and is pretty neutral. Cheap too. (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001237268675.html)

@Brewtal has a Fenix FD41 that is focusable but has really interesting optics that acts more like a normal torch with a bit of a hotspot, and he loved that thing last time I spoke to him. It's pretty old now and only about 900 lumen, but amazon do still sell it. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N407H5R/?tag=networkmechan-21

Big thanks for this that's a huge help - sometimes it's easiest to ask someone who knows! I was looking at the Wurkkos earlier and that seems to tick the boxes so I'll try that. Previously I was using a Wilkos 5w aluminium torch which I have to say was quite bright, but it was also quite cold, the beam was like a big spot with some blue diffraction on the edges, and really is probably bigger than it needs to be because it was cheap. I need something that can be whipped out whilst holding everything else so the FC11 seems ideal. Also love your website :thumb

Bazza74

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I use a Lenser P7 but find that in really large dark spaces such as warehouses, theatres etc. it doesn’t light up enough of the room to take the photo I’m after. I’ve been looking at the handheld rechargeable LED lights but not sure if they’ll cut the mustard? Any advice would be appreciated. I use a phone camera so don’t need my lighting to be for a pro-camera.

jezzyboo

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I have a head torch with 3x 18650 batteries my main torch is a dive torch ( drains are often deep with water ) with 3x 26650 batteries , I always carry a set of spare batteries for theses 2 torches . The head torch runs the batteries down in an hour ! on top of this i also carry a small backup torch powered by 1x 18650 battery along with a spare as well . On bigger drains where its harder to get pictures i take my Imalent MS18 cool white torch this is crazy bright and helps light the bigger areas , Love my torches got quite a few others one that takes 5x 32650 batteries a Maglite and other rechargeable ones always been a torch geek since boyhood lol

Parky

The Devil Is in the Details
Regular User
fenix definitely been my fav, i have the fenix lr40r and use this for underground photography. such a powerful floodlight. also ace for filming !
wouldnt mind upgrading to the olight marauder 2 ...

Parky

The Devil Is in the Details
Regular User
I have a head torch with 3x 18650 batteries my main torch is a dive torch ( drains are often deep with water ) with 3x 26650 batteries , I always carry a set of spare batteries for theses 2 torches . The head torch runs the batteries down in an hour ! on top of this i also carry a small backup torch powered by 1x 18650 battery along with a spare as well . On bigger drains where its harder to get pictures i take my Imalent MS18 cool white torch this is crazy bright and helps light the bigger areas , Love my torches got quite a few others one that takes 5x 32650 batteries a Maglite and other rechargeable ones always been a torch geek since boyhood lol
ms18 :<3 what a beast

Who has read this thread (Total: 515) View details