real time web analytics
Report - - Torr Vale Mill, New Mills, 30/05/2010 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Torr Vale Mill, New Mills, 30/05/2010

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Hidden

28DL Full Member
Torr Vale Mill, New Mills (Derbyshire), 30th May 2010

Visited Solo

I found a lead to this from a really old report that doesn't show in searches. Seems it has only been covered once, since then some things have changed.

Some History for you

DSC_0242.jpg

It has also been proposed that the site could be converted into residential apartments, aswell as shops, leisure centres, a supermarket, or perhaps just left to rot, as outlined in THIS document.

Quick history summary

Torr Vale Mill is a Grade II* listed former cotton mill located in New Mills, Derbyshire, England. It is sited on a small rocky outcrop at the bottom of the Torrs gorge in a bend of the River Goyt.
The mill was built in the late 1780s, by Daniel Strafford and was known as Stratford's mill. It was powered by two waterwheels to spin and weave cotton. It was rebuilt in 1856 and a steam engine was added. It continued to be driven by steam and water till the 1940s when electricity took over. It was still in use producing towelling products until December 2000, the longest continuous period of cotton production in the UK. Since 1998 there have been various plans by the new owner, Chemquick Ltd., to renovate and develop the mill, none of which has come to anything. The Torr Vale Mill Preservation Trust in May 2001 and The Princes Regeneration Trust has also been seeking a solution.
In 2000 Torr Vale Mill was depicted on Royal Mail postage stamps to commemorate the Millennium Walkway in the Torrs Gorge. From this walkway, on the opposite side of the Gorge, dramatic views of the Mill may be had.
In 2001 a fire destroyed one of the buildings of the mill. The mill remains in a lamentable state and, though now better secured, is at risk of further fire and vandalism. The Mill is on the English Heritage 'Buildings at Risk Register' of Listed Buildings at risk through disuse and disrepair.

The welcome signs

DSC_0247.jpg

DSC_0217.jpg

And there she is...

DSC_0222.jpg

The mill is surrounded by the 'Millenium Walkway' , which runs suspended over the river Goyt, providing fantastic views of this crumbling mill from all angles.

DSC_0228-1.jpg

DSC_0224-1.jpg

DSC_0232.jpg

DSC_0223.jpg

I'll be honest, I was expecting to find LOADS of machinery in this place, because the 2007 report that lead me here, showed cotton spinning machines, weaves and all other things. This was a solo explore so I wasn't to happy about venturing into the deep and dark basements alone, torch or not, so decided to leave that until somebody can accompany me. I explored the majority of the mill, but there is undoubtedly more to see!

However, we'll start on the ground floor.

It was dark down here

DSC_0215-1.jpg

DSC_0213.jpg

1st Floor

DSC_0211.jpg

DSC_0207.jpg
DSC_0209-1.jpg

2nd Floor

DSC_0202-2.jpg

DSC_0206-1.jpg

3rd Floor (Top)

DSC_0185.jpg