real time web analytics
Report - - Tower Wood Mine - Surrey - August 2016 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Tower Wood Mine - Surrey - August 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

silentwalker

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Next to no history or details about this mine online so I am only going to be able to show you the pictures of this little hidden underground gem we managed to find tucked deep away. After spending many weeks trawling through woods, fields and dirt tracks the hard work finally paid off! Access was stubborn but thank god I always remember to bring my magic wand and cloak, we were in! Any excuse for a bit of SRT and we are all over it and so we descended into the darkness.

This mine is not large by any means but as they say bigger is not always better (yeah right girls :coat) it is packed with plenty of good photo opportunities and great features. Visited with @Porker of the night and safe to say I did hear some screaming echoing up the shaft as I heard the words "FALSE WIDOWS EVERYWHERE!" maybe it isn't the best time of the year to be dropping into mines but we just couldn't say no :D

On to the pictures,

1F_zpsutq2ku99.jpg

2. @Porker of the night
2F_zpsqqil3v5c.jpg

3F_zpszhlofeae.jpg

4F_zpsq8npfxkz.jpg

6F_zpsiembmdik.jpg

5F_zps8ogv5tpa.jpg

8F_zpswttmgf8b.jpg

7F_zpsg3vpgaod.jpg

9F_zpsvmxgjszh.jpg

10. @Porker of the night
10F_zpsydmenbxu.jpg

11. Cans of Carling
11F_zpsmtxw64ac.jpg

Cheers for having a ganders :thumb

obscurity

Flaxenation of the G!!!
Regular User
Cracking stuff yet again lads. You boys have been keeping very busy. Nice little find this and one I've never heard of before!! Keep them coming :thumb

pirate

Rum Swigger
28DL Full Member
Good work......not even listed on aditnow........most of the mining in Surrey was chalk in the form of pits rather than mines

silentwalker

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Good work......not even listed on aditnow........most of the mining in Surrey was chalk in the form of pits rather than mines

Cheers man :thumb Surrey is hollow, yeah Surrey contains a lot of open cast chalk pits/dene holes but there is also a serious amount of hearthstone and firestone mines

Mr Mayagee

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
..This is Gatton Park Mine , the other entrances are under the golf course me thinks ....Firestone was quarried here from 1809 - just like in Godstone Mines..
This one is "Tower Wood Pit "

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
..This is Gatton Park Mine , the other entrances are under the golf course me thinks ....Firestone was quarried here from 1809 - just like in Godstone Mines..
This one is "Tower Wood Pit "

I don't get it? Is it gatton Park Mine or Tower Wood Pit?

Mr Mayagee

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Think "tower wood "was just a pit / quarry , from the looks of the pic's it was most likely Gatton Mine / Bottom Shaft ...

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
Nice one mate hadn't realised this one had gone up..another of the many surrey mines that doesn't see a lot of footfall,wcms is good like that ;)