real time web analytics
Report - - Trafford House - Basildon - Essex - August 2014 | High Stuff | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Trafford House - Basildon - Essex - August 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Boomstick84

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History

Credit to robg172 for the history

Trafford House in Basildon, Essex was the former Ford Motor Company Ltd UK headquarters for 32 years - spanning 310,000 square feet over eight storeys.

Ford moved into the building (originally named Station House) in 1977 - the same year the Fiesta was launched in Britain. It was renamed Trafford House after the Trafford Park plant in Manchester where the Model T production had started in 1911.

It boasted many onsite facilities including a large canteen, gym, hairdressers, bank and medical centre – typical of a prestige head office of its day.

The site officially ceased operations in 2005, although the last of the staff from the Purchasing team remained until December 2009. All functions the building previously performed were redistributed across the Dunton and Warley sites in Essex.

Outline planning permission was originally granted by Basildon Council in 2011 for 359 flats and 10 stories of retail space, although development plans fell through and the building remained empty.

According to an article dated July 2014, Criterion Capital has bought the building for around £15 million from RMD (2000) Trafford Ltd and has submitted plans to develop flats and retail space. As it stands, no obvious activity is happening to suggest any work is starting yet

The Explore

Explored with my regular exploring compadre robg172. His report has already documented the interior nicely and can be located here http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php/91497-Report-Ford-Motor-Company-former-HQ-Trafford-House-Basildon-%E2%80%93-August-2014?highlight=trafford+house. Also, props for the extra groundwork and regular reccy’s to scope out an access point, nice work mate! :thumb

With an early evening arrival we headed straight up top to see if we could find a roof access which didn’t take long to find. The views across the surrounding town and countryside were brilliant however it was still light and we were in easy view of surrounding apartments.

We didn’t want to run the risk of the local curtain twitchers putting a call in to Basildon’s finest and having our explore cut short before we had a chance to check out the building interior so we decided to do our interior explore, wait for night to fall and head back up for some night shots. This plan was swiftly scuppered however by it promptly p*****g down with the worst rain for weeks. A return visit was required.

On our second visit we headed straight for the roof and spent a chilled couple of hours waiting for the sun to go down before finally getting some shots.

This was my first rooftop and night photography session so apologies in advance if the pictures need a little improvement. All constructive criticism is gratefully received!

1. First thing you see when coming out onto the roof!
Crane1.jpg

RaincloudHorizon.jpg

MarketClose.jpg

EastgateBusStationClose.jpg

Train.jpg

6. I spy scaff!
EastgateScaff.jpg

Roundabout.jpg

EastgateBusStationLong.jpg

BusDepot.jpg

Comet.jpg

11. Haven't done a crane yet but now this is calling! :D
BuildingSite.jpg

12. And just for a laugh...
RooftopExplorersPixelated.jpg

Hope you enjoyed! :thumb

UrbanDuck

Authorised Trespasser
28DL Full Member
Great shots mate, my favourite being number 9 which I remember you taking and was looking forward to seeing. Here's to many more adventures - keep those buildings closing!! :thumb

Boomstick84

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Some nice photos! :thumb The crane next?

Thanks mate! Was a bit of trial and error so not quite as crisp as I'd hoped but it was a good learning experience. Until recently I'd not had much interest in cranes due to not being keen on heights but this has definitely stoked my interest. Keep finding myself looking at cranes more and more these days. Watch this space! :D

Great shots mate, my favourite being number 9 which I remember you taking and was looking forward to seeing. Here's to many more adventures - keep those buildings closing!! :thumb

Cheers mate! They don't look quite as sharp since I've uploaded them to Photobucket for some reason (file compression?)but was fairly happy with a couple of them when viewing them in Lightroom/Photoshop. Has given me the night photography bug now :D

Deffo - was a good night! Roll on the next one! :thumb

UrbanDuck

Authorised Trespasser
28DL Full Member
Cheers mate! They don't look quite as sharp since I've uploaded them to Photobucket for some reason (file compression?)but was fairly happy with a couple of them when viewing them in Lightroom/Photoshop. Has given me the night photography bug now :D

Deffo - was a good night! Roll on the next one! :thumb

They look pretty good to me mate, sure - there will be some loss from Photobucket. Yeah I've got the bug for night shots now. Also after I've had a couple of days to digest, I must say I'm still not beaten yet on the 'other' site we couldn't get in. Needs some more planning and a re-visit I think!