real time web analytics
Report - - Tranch Pyle Limeworks - November 2017 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Tranch Pyle Limeworks - November 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Idle Hands

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
TRANCH PYLE LIMEWORKS

This is one of those sites that’s so conspicuous I can’t believe nobody else has been, but there’s no trace of any past reports on here so for the sake of recording it, here’s my take.

If you’re familiar with the stop-start nature of traffic on the M4 as you head towards Port Talbot from the Cardiff side, you may well have looked out of your window and wondered what this rusting bulk was. That’s how I arrived in Tranch Pyle for a wander anyway…

Google throws up next to nothing about the place other than conundrums, and as my research went on I wasn’t even sure if it was known as Tranch Quarry, Pyle Limeworks, Stormy Down Quarry or Kenfig Limeworks, but as it’s located in the village of Tranch Pyle I’ve stuck with that. It seems that the Stormy Stone & Brick Company operated from this site at one point. As for this operation though, at a guess I’d reckon it closed sometime around 15-20 years ago – but as much as I hate to admit defeat on these things, it is just a guess. I've found no history on the place whatsoever.

The underlying local geology is of limestone, exploited for centuries but notably in recent times for use as a flux in the smelting process in local ironworks – and most recently at the steel works in nearby Port Talbot. Most of the lime quarries have now gone though and works such as these appear to have been left to nature.

Solo explore, just as the dying sun was disappearing… One of those sites that probably photographs better on a sunny day!

IMG_2969pyle.JPG

IMG_2970pyle.JPG

IMG_2972pyle.JPG

IMG_2974pyle.JPG

IMG_2978pyle.JPG

IMG_2981pyle.JPG

IMG_2982pyle.JPG

IMG_2984pyle.JPG

IMG_2992pyle.JPG

IMG_2994pyle.JPG

IMG_2996pyle.JPG

IMG_2998pyle.JPG

IMG_2999pyle.JPG

IMG_3000pyle.JPG

IMG_3001pyle.JPG

IMG_3002pyle.JPG

One of the buildings at the back of the site by the railway line seemed to have suffered a fire at some point, the remains of a Bedford truck sitting amidst the remains of the roof...

IMG_3003pyle.JPG

IMG_3004pyle.JPG

IMG_3006pyle.JPG

IMG_3007pyle.JPG

IMG_3008pyle.JPG

Thanks for looking :thumb

Lenston

Bajo Tierra
Regular User
Ive been a few times just never posted a report up, some nice Kilns on the way in just past the roller, some nice pictures there, no angry farmer about?

Idle Hands

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Ive been a few times just never posted a report up, some nice Kilns on the way in just past the roller, some nice pictures there, no angry farmer about?

Yeah I was sure I wouldn't have been the first to visit... seems like a locals haunt. No angry farmer that I noticed though!

Regcar

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Good report. Always surprised to see so much abandoned machinery on these sites. The excavator/JCB ?? doesn't look too bad. Thought these things were quite valuable. The road roller may have been attractive to a collector. Watching Fred Dibnah again the other night I was amazed to hear how much old things can be worth. Maybe a non steam driven roller is only scrap value, but anything steam powered is worth tens of thousands, even for restoration!

Idle Hands

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Good report. Always surprised to see so much abandoned machinery on these sites. The excavator/JCB ?? doesn't look too bad. Thought these things were quite valuable. The road roller may have been attractive to a collector. Watching Fred Dibnah again the other night I was amazed to hear how much old things can be worth. Maybe a non steam driven roller is only scrap value, but anything steam powered is worth tens of thousands, even for restoration!

Thanks very much... you should see the digger from the other side - not so great! Yeah I think it would take an enthusiast with a lot of time and dedication to restore the roller!

Lenston

Bajo Tierra
Regular User
Think it’s just the first building with the trucks, the rest was fine last time I visited.

Morning.Star

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great photos, almost looks other worldly. Been meaning to go here for a few months but didn't think there'd be much - happy to be proved wrong!