real time web analytics
Information - - Trapped inside an R.O.C post and how you can avoid it (video) | ROC Posts | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Information - Trapped inside an R.O.C post and how you can avoid it (video)

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Red State Connection

Red State
28DL Full Member
Hi everyone so last week we went to Melbourne R.O.C post a nuclear monitoring master-post in Derbyshire. It was my friend and colleague's birthday and we had planned to go snowboarding at the snow-dome later that night so just wanted to pop in on the way home from filming our new series of hunting history. after taking a few pictures of the hatch with the hasps up we forgot to fold them back down and unfortunately as we closed the hatch the hasps fell back and trapped us inside. as we pushed from underneath it just jammed the hasps further. lucky for us we had enough signal and battery to call a friend and 4 hours later we were saved. but it got us thinking that this could happen to anyone and could take a dark tone if you had forgotten your phone and didn't have contact. These are dangerous places we all like to visit and sometimes i think we can forget that. so i wanted to create this video to highlight this danger and stop others from getting trapped as well. We hadn't even thought about it before as most the hasps are locked back or not freely moving as well and it took us by surprise. i know ive mentioned this on a few forums now and a lot said the same hense the video. its not a master piece but it gets the message across and shows you exactly what i mean as explaining in writing isn't as strong as a visual aid. thanks about it anyways people stay safe out there and i hope you enjoyed the short vid. we do have full footage of us trapped inside the post that will be released in an episode in the upcoming series starting later this year, so you'll all get to have a wee laugh at us panicking! also have you experienced any similar situations? would be good to get a thread going for things to looks out for.

here is the video link:

Last edited:

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
Am I missing something? Weren't the ROC Hatches meant to be lockable and openable from the inside only? Other than putting a padlock on the outside or had the hatch been vandalised?

My local one is in pretty good nick and is easy to open from the inside if you lock it.

Red State Connection

Red State
28DL Full Member
Am I missing something? Weren't the ROC Hatches meant to be lockable and openable from the inside only? Other than putting a padlock on the outside or had the hatch been vandalised?

My local one is in pretty good nick and is easy to open from the inside if you lock it.

Yes mate the problem wasnt with the hatch locking as in with the t bar etc we mean it jammed shut on us (not the lock the hasps) if you watch the video it shows what i am explaining, we closed the hatch down (not locking it) the hasps like in the video were left facing up while i was taking photos and hadnt thought to push them back towards the hatch, so as we closed the hatch the hasps fell back across the hatch onto the other side jamming it shut as it was stuck on the metal loops on the other side. (usually these hasps are padlocked to the loop on the hatch and cant move, or you have the hatch design were the hasps dont freely move like these do and wouldnt be able to move without you moving them. the hatch would of been fully openable if the hasps hadnt fallen across on the outside but as they did we had to call a friend to come out and put them back, once he did that it swung open with ease. but with them down it becomes solid. thats why i say to take some cable ties for if you come across this hatch design so you can cable tie them to the hatch loops if there not padlocked to them already. sorry if my text explaining isnt the greatest i dont mean for any confusion :)

mrg9999

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi everyone so last week we went to Melbourne R.O.C post a nuclear monitoring master-post in Derbyshire. It was my friend and colleague's birthday and we had planned to go snowboarding at the snow-dome later that night so just wanted to pop in on the way home from filming our new series of hunting history. after taking a few pictures of the hatch with the hasps up we forgot to fold them back down and unfortunately as we closed the hatch the hasps fell back and trapped us inside. as we pushed from underneath it just jammed the hasps further. lucky for us we had enough signal and battery to call a friend and 4 hours later we were saved. but it got us thinking that this could happen to anyone and could take a dark tone if you had forgotten your phone and didn't have contact. These are dangerous places we all like to visit and sometimes i think we can forget that. so i wanted to create this video to highlight this danger and stop others from getting trapped as well. We hadn't even thought about it before as most the hasps are locked back or not freely moving as well and it took us by surprise. i know ive mentioned this on a few forums now and a lot said the same hense the video. its not a master piece but it gets the message across and shows you exactly what i mean as explaining in writing isn't as strong as a visual aid. thanks about it anyways people stay safe out there and i hope you enjoyed the short vid. we do have full footage of us trapped inside the post that will be released in an episode in the upcoming series starting later this year, so you'll all get to have a wee laugh at us panicking! also have you experienced any similar situations? would be good to get a thread going for things to looks out for.

here is the video link:

Read the subtitles
ROC BONKERS

Goldie87

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Never heard of anyone getting trapped in a post before! Best advice is just don't shut the hatch when you go into one!

professor frink

Reppin Bumbaclaat
28DL Full Member
Good point, myself and several fellow explorers have been trapped in similar conditions. Now I always take my own locks to prevent shit like this happening.
Doesn't bear thinking about if you had no reception and no one knew you were in there!

Bobblehead2016

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I've been down that one a number of times but I never closed the hatch - good job !
The hasp set up on this Post is completely none standard and looks like a local mod.
The standard hasps were concreted into the sides of the entrance hatch rather than welded to the hatch itself.
Saying that, if they were loose enough, then the same thing good happen
As an aside, this Post was sold for over £30k a few years ago but it looks like nothing has been donewith it since...