real time web analytics
Question - - Tripod mounted lighting? | Kit / Clothing / Equipment | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - Tripod mounted lighting?

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

TheReturningCynic

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Just browsing some old photographs, and realised that given it's easy enough to pack a spare/light tripod, a way of mounting lighting on it would be absolutely brilliant. (Especially for the odd underground river or drain, where you may want to light up a branch but don't want to test out the water-resistance of your kit!) Whilst I've considered gaffa-tape and string, that seems a little too 50 shades - and I was wondering if anyone has any other ideas?

For what it's worth, in addition to the bog-standard little LED lenser style flashlight, I'm currently using something like this - a little LED mounted unit with a stand/handle:

Screenshot 2020-12-23 at 21.45.58.png

Brewtal

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I occasionally use an Andoer LED panel that I got on Amazon, it can be mounted to the cam or a tripod. It’s not overly expensive (you’ll want at least 2 batteries as it chews through them) and it has a small ball head so it can be angled. I personally like it because it has two individual controls for the blue and red so you can match the colour of the light to your torch. Lensers tend to have a blue tint to them so with a bit of fucking about you can get the two light sources looking the same, making it much easier to correct in Lightroom etc.

I think this is the one I got, I’ve had it for years so this may be an updated version.

I rarely use it to light up shots these days, but I carry it with me all the time. I mainly use it to compose shots that I will light paint with my FD41, it’s nice having a stationery and hands-free light source for certain shots. With the battery removed it is very slimline so they don’t take up loads of space either.

@mookster Did you end up buying the same one after you used my one in that rotten hospital up here?

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
@mookster Did you end up buying the same one after you used my one in that rotten hospital up here?

I bought a similar one after using yours to great effect, mine's a Neewer one which runs off rechargeable battery packs. One of the best things I ever bought as it lights things up very well and is a pure white LED light.

Grom

Camera Drowner
Regular User
Yeah this is the way forward. LED video light on a tripod. Most come with a tripod attachment anyway. Haven't used one recently, but for complex lighting that doesn't involve putting lights on the floor it's the way to go. Especially useful if theres a little bit of water on the floor.

KPUrban_

Surprisingly Unsurprising
Regular User
You can get those big Led panels which slot onto the hotshoe (I think that's what it's called) of a DSLR, rarely ever use mine as I leave it behind, but they're very good for lighting up a room.

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
You can get those big Led panels which slot onto the hotshoe (I think that's what it's called) of a DSLR, rarely ever use mine as I leave it behind, but they're very good for lighting up a room.

They really do come into their own lighting up rooms evenly, this was an almost pitch black room in that Scott House building at West Park which was lit with my panel, simply placed on the floor so the light would bounce off the ceiling.

49579478878_7794d7d275_b.jpg

Lenston

Bajo Tierra
Regular User
I got sent a panel recently that doubles as a power bank, adjustable power and temperature and the size of an old iphone. Great if you want to light small to medium spaces. I would rather just balance it on something rather than taking an extra tripod :thumb

TheReturningCynic

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks for the responses, everyone - helpful as per! I'd just began to consider DIY options and trying to rig up my own tripod mount!

I occasionally use an Andoer LED panel that I got on Amazon, it can be mounted to the cam or a tripod. It’s not overly expensive (you’ll want at least 2 batteries as it chews through them) and it has a small ball head so it can be angled. I personally like it because it has two individual controls for the blue and red so you can match the colour of the light to your torch. Lensers tend to have a blue tint to them so with a bit of fucking about you can get the two light sources looking the same, making it much easier to correct in Lightroom etc.

I think this is the one I got, I’ve had it for years so this may be an updated version.

I rarely use it to light up shots these days, but I carry it with me all the time. I mainly use it to compose shots that I will light paint with my FD41, it’s nice having a stationery and hands-free light source for certain shots. With the battery removed it is very slimline so they don’t take up loads of space either.

That looks excellent; and precisely the kind of thing that would do the trick! The lighting in @mookster's shot is phenomenal, and they seem to be a brilliant size for slipping in to a case.

I'm trying to work out what "a little too 50 shades" means.
Whatever it means, I like that includes "shades" when talking about lighting :p

I wish I could take credit for intentionally making that particular pun, sadly my mind was just in the gutter!

I got sent a panel recently that doubles as a power bank, adjustable power and temperature and the size of an old iphone. Great if you want to light small to medium spaces. I would rather just balance it on something rather than taking an extra tripod :thumb

Yeah, I must admit I have begrudged carrying even one tripod at times - especially with my penchant for dropping bags and clumsily getting stuck in random holes!

At the beginning of lockdown 1 I did expense what I thought was quite a gimmicky phone tripod - as I wanted to try and film a few videos for work, and wanted a small tripod I could mount a microphone on and place on my desk. Surprisingly it was good enough that I've trusted it out and about with my little bridge camera - I wouldn't trust it with a dSLR, but it's small enough that it's my "lazy tripod" or "packing light because the dSLR is effort" tripod.

Explorer0262

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
They really do come into their own lighting up rooms evenly, this was an almost pitch black room in that Scott House building at West Park which was lit with my panel, simply placed on the floor so the light would bounce off the ceiling.

49579478878_7794d7d275_b.jpg
That looks impressive Mookster. Would you be happy to let us know which Neewer model you went for?

Thanks