real time web analytics
Report - - Tropicana, Weston-Super-Mare April 2011 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Tropicana, Weston-Super-Mare April 2011

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

petzl

Explorational Urbanite
28DL Full Member
It was a nice spring morning when Indy and myself decided to go to the beach. When we got there I took Indy to see the outside of the Tropicana because normally it is locked up. While walking up the beach I couldn't believe the side gate was wide open so we just walked up and peered in. There was no one in there. So quick as you like the cameras came out and the snapping began.
While we wandered round I regaled Indy with the story's of the many time I had been there as a child. I loved the 2 giant pineapples which contain water slides and a massive queue to get on them. It was my first ever time experiencing a wave machine which as a kid would throw you around like being in a washing machine. They also had an Ice rink that had no ice, it was a strange wax and was very hard to skate on.
On our way out a man drove in on an electric bin cart. He took no notice of use and drove in to the building. We went over to have a chat with him. He told us how disgusted he was that the council was using it as a basic rubbish tip, and I totally agree with him.

Now the blurb....

The site was first developed as a 950 square metres (10,200 sq ft) swimming pool in 1937 and included an art deco diving board. At the time it had the highest diving board and was the largest open air swimming pool in Europe. When it was opened it was simply known as "The Pool" becomining branded as Tropicana in 1983. The reinforced concrete diving board was demolished in 1982 and was refurbished.

In 2000 the Tropicana closed, and developer Mace Estates was selected to work on a new project for the site. Although the Council promised that the Tropicana would be open in 2004, the Mace plans were rejected and the company bowed out. In 2005 Henry Boot was chosen as the developer, but the recession meant they pulled out.
Then early in 2011 developer Richard Nightingale pulled out over a dispute with the Council over his plans.
On 23 August 2011, the Local Authority announced it was giving developers one last chance to rebuild the old complex which has now been shut for 11 years.
But it was announced on 28 November 2011 that a working group has made a recommendation to North Somerset Council to demolish the Tropicana. The cross-party Tropicana Working Group voted by six votes to three in favour of knocking it down. It will cost the council £250,000 to demolish the site, rather than leave it hanging on. It is expected that Councillors will decide the site's fate on 6 January 2012. The decision is to demolish it.

Tropicana.jpg

Tropicana1.jpg

Tropicana2.jpg

Tropicana3.jpg

Tropicana4.jpg

Tropicana5.jpg

Tropicana6.jpg

Tropicana7.jpg

Tropicana8.jpg

Tropicana9.jpg

Tropicana10.jpg

Tropicana11.jpg

Tropicana12.jpg

Tropicana13.jpg

Tropicana14.jpg

Tropicana15.jpg

Tropicana16.jpg

Tropicana17.jpg

Tropicana18.jpg

Tropicana19.jpg

Tropicana20.jpg

Tropicana21.jpg

Tropicana22.jpg

Tropicana23.jpg

Tropicana24.jpg

Tropicana25.jpg

Tropicana26.jpg

MattTheForce

28DL Member
28DL Member
Cool post. I'm not 100% sure, but I was told this place is to be turned into some sort of ice rink, which would be really cool :thumb

dave f

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
after the banksy dismaland project , the site has been re invented as multi purpose arts and events venue, at present its hosting an undercover ice rink