real time web analytics
Report - - Tullis Russell Power Station, Glenrothes - June 2020 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Tullis Russell Power Station, Glenrothes - June 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Pixels

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Tullis Russell Power Station (formerly Markinch Power Station) was built in 1914 to provide electricity and steam to the mill on the same site. The mill was used for production of paper and board for use in cards, covers and premium packaging. Originally consisting of a single Parsons turbine and generator unit, the power station was enlarged in 1921 to add another two units. The ability to co-fire oil along with coal was also introduced at the same time. The powerhouse was then expanded once again and a fourth, larger Parsons turbine was added.

In 1999 one of the turbines was converted to run on gas, following a search for cleaner methods of electricity production, however by 2012 a new biomass power station was built adjacent to the site which provided both steam and electricity to the paper mill. This made the old power station obsolete. The company went into administration in 2015 resulting in the closure of the mill, but the biomass power station continues to operate and supplies to the national grid.

Explored with @Brewtal, @UrbanDoll & @plod. Cheers @Brewtal for showing us this place - much appreciated. I really enjoyed the explore. :thumb

Seffy

Staff member
Fuck me this place is in a state! :( used to be a beauty!
Good photos though, and thanks for the update!

Pixels

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Fuck me this place is in a state! :( used to be a beauty!
Good photos though, and thanks for the update!
Yeah I've looked at some old pictures and it's a shame, but I'm glad to have seen it nevertheless!

Baggy trousers

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Such a nice place, one I've wanted to see for yonks, shame it's getting trashed. Great report that and thanks for the update.

Banzai2003

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Some great pictures. Am I right in saying this place has been completely demo'd apart from the active section?

Who has read this thread (Total: 140) View details