real time web analytics
Report - - TURNER BROS ASBESTOS FACTORY, ROCHDALE, AUGUST 2020 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - TURNER BROS ASBESTOS FACTORY, ROCHDALE, AUGUST 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Specter

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

So this is my first report but definitely not my first explore, annoyingly some of my favourites have now been demolished and are now impossible to report on :(

A little history

Founded in 1871 as Turner Brothers to manufacture cotton cloth, The manufacture of asbestos began on the site in 1879. By 1970 the factory had an annual output of 2,250,000 yards of asbestos cloth and 5,500,000 miles of asbestos yarn. Then in 1879 it became the first business to weave asbestos cloth with power driven machinery.

By 1998 the company was acquired by Federal Mogul which ended up in financial difficulty and filled for chapter 11 due to asbestos claims leaving roughly a £400 million pension fund deficit.

Being one of the first to industrialise asbestos and its eventual demise it became entangled with multiple issues due to asbestos litigation, Asbestos rated diseases had become recognised due to a death of a worker at their factory in 1924. This began multiple parliamentary inquiries and reports into asbestos related disease. The company instructed their lawyers to strongly defend these claims however.

The Explore

Naturally finding people to visit a asbestos factory was slightly harder than I previously anticipated so I ended up going alone on this one. Unfortunately most of the buildings I found were pretty well secured (its like they really don't want anyone getting asbestos related illnesses, go figure). The site itself is pretty massive I vaguely remember waling around 12 miles and didn't see a soul while I was there.

This part was incredibly springy possibly for the room where they tested composite armour for the MOD (info from a local not sure how accurate it is)

Thanks for reading, I hope this post is up to scratch.

MK83

Wife and husband
28DL Full Member
We reccied this out last year while we were in the area but didn't have time to attempt it and haven't been back yet. Shame you didn't get inside. I don't think asbestos has been produced there for many years so the risk is quite low, would definately wear a mask though! There are some industrial sites round lancashire that are literally covered in the stuff!

Last edited:

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Good 1st report, welcome to the world of posting. Your format is spot on. Any internals would of made this a really good 1st report. Hope to see more from you :thumb

Specter

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
To be honest I have a fair few sites (just no internals with this one) genuinely just testing the water to see how it goes.

D

Deleted member 157327

Incredible photos. This site was covered in a recent training course that I sat. I believe there are bags of pure asbestos inside.

Who has read this thread (Total: 227) View details