real time web analytics
Report - - Turner Bros Asbestos, Rochdale Nov 2012 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Turner Bros Asbestos, Rochdale Nov 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I always thought that living next door to Hickson's would be the worst industrial neighbour to have, with it's roulette wheel of death hanging in the offices. I think I'd rather take my chances with an almond smelling gas drifting over my back garden than what Turners offered Rochdale.

It seems that Turners were well aware of the dangers that Asbestos caused, deciding as most employers did in days gone to focus on profit not employee health. The land surrounding the worth seems to be pretty dodgy, having the 60 Tonnes of asbestos waste created each week by Turners dumped in it. The locals referred to the woodland as "snowy woods", as they always looked like there had been a ground frost from the constant asbestos dust settling over it:eek: Apparently a tree blew over recently and it's roots were entwined with brown asbestos fibers!!

Anyway ignoring all of that Turners is great, being one of that rare breed of industrial locations that retains much of the old characteristics that I have grown to love. Sure there is a healthy dose of plasterboard and breeze block, but if one takes the time to look past that the works has actually changed little in many years.

One of the first rooms I found was the archive and plan room, filled to the rafters with paperwork and maps and blueprints. I spent half my time reading through as much as I could trying to learn more about what Turners made.

I managed to take in the vast weaving sheds, mill style buildings and interesting if somewhat modern offices. One of the real gems is the welfare building, built with an apprentice training school, huge canteen with stage and kitchens, shop and what seems to be some kind of lab. The whole building is very unchanged with a healthy dose of retro signage and colour scheme.

Turner's was busy on the day I visited, with stone throwing youths, pikeys and what seemed to be contractors, who I blundered into and although he was quite sound he was keen for me to leave! I shall have to return as there is plenty yet to be seen...

aaturn-30-2.jpg

aaturn-29-2.jpg

aaturn-28-2.jpg

aaturn-27-2.jpg

aaturn-26-2.jpg

aaturn-25-2.jpg

aaturn-24-2.jpg

aaturn-23-2.jpg

aaturn-22-2.jpg

aaturn-21-2.jpg

aaturn-20-2.jpg

aaturn-19-2.jpg