real time web analytics
Report - - Ty'n y Ceunant Quarry 2023 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Ty'n y Ceunant Quarry 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

tigger

mog
Regular User
Another of those quarries that gets overlooked because of something else nearby and one I'd long meant to cross off.

A small and short-lived quarry in Corris Uchaf. Probably worked in the mid 1800s for local use and then re-worked briefly from 1867 to the mid 1870s. During this later working the finished slate was taken away via the Upper Corris Tramway (orange line) which terminated between the village post office and the mill.
Slate was won from the surface initially and then underground working.

The water-powered mill, oulined in purple, had several uses after the quarry closed - as a Wesleyan Methodist Chapel )as shown here in 1899) as well as a village hall and later motor garage. It was finally demolished a few years ago.
1.jpg

Little remains on the surface apart from finger tips and a surprisingly good section of the exit incline.

2.jpg

Photos are all phone. I'd already been in cockle deep water and there wasn't anything 'special' enough to justify the trek back down in the rain.

Looking over Corris Uchaf to expanse of Abercwmeidaw and Abercorris nestled in the tees
3.jpg

Top of the exit incline with a solitary side wall of a drum house
4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Surface workings
8.jpg

Which lead to a run in adit
9.jpg

Second area of surface working
10.jpg

Again leading to a run in adit - though in this case you do at least see the entrance
11.jpg

The lowest level however looked more enticing.
12.jpg

Welly fail but the wading earlier in the day meant I didn't care
13.jpg

Almost no mineralisation, just a couple of collapses (common on this side of the valley)
14.jpg

15.jpg

..before going blind
16.jpg

so back out I toddled
17.jpg

Apart from the walk back into Corris that was the end of another day of wetness and slate.

18.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Has this one pinned on my hols over Xmas but just ran out of time. Good report and nice to see something different.