real time web analytics
Report - - Tyne Yard signal box today and a few from the past March 09 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Tyne Yard signal box today and a few from the past March 09

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dave

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Tyne yard signal box at Lamesley was one of my first proper explores way back in 1995. I went back recently to see what changes had ocurred over the years i had gone back a few years ago but things have really gone downhill since then especially the top floor of the control tower the roof is almost completely missing now what a mess up there. The box was opened on the 21st of April 1963 and closed 9th of May 1991 so when i first got in it had been closed for about 4 years the top floor was bad then and that was with most of the roof intact. Anyhow have a look at some pics before and after and i must apologise for the poor picc quality of the 1995 shots.

tyne-yd-sig-box-1995--a.gif

Then the windows hadnt been boarded up and the control panels were in pretty decent nick, it had suffered some vandalism though. above 2 from 1995

slpengmbrodhamoldbathstyneydsigbox2.jpg

slpengmbrodhamoldbathstyneydsigb-1.jpg

the above 2 pics show how it has suffered with no roof a lot of the wall panels are missing plus weeds and plants growing everywhere. above 2 from 2009

tyne-yd-sig-box-1995-c.gif

another 2 from 1995 compare this with the present scene below
slpengmbrodhamoldbathstyneydsigb-2.jpg

tyne-yd-sig-box-1995-d.gif

again sorry for the poor quality though you can see only part of the roof missing. the above 2 are from 1995
slpengmbrodhamoldbathstyneydsigb-4.jpg

looking out north over the yard march 2009

slpengmbrodhamoldbathstyneydsigb-3.jpg

Looking south march 2009

slpengmbrodhamoldbathstyneydsigb-5.jpg

march 2009 a HST south bound in the newish NXEC livery

slpengmbrodhamoldbathstyneydsigb-7.jpg

march 2009 looking down the stairwell into the gloom of the lower floors.

slpengmbrodhamoldbathstyneydsigb-6.jpg

Final one from 2009

tyne-yd-sig-box-1995-b-1.gif

3 externals from summer of 1995 you can see the top floor has no boarding though it was trashed then its far worse now sadly. The final 2 pics are extracts from some train registers i saw on site which made fascinating reading these are just 2 examples of the varied and busy life of the signalmen who served this box.
tyne-yd-sig-box-reg-1987.gif

tyne-yd-sig-box-reg-1989.gif

Thanks for looking.

JonJos

28DL Member
28DL Member
Hello Dave, I was a relief Signalman at Tyne Box from 1976 until 1991-The whole area was transferred to Gateshead IECC ( Computerised) and a few of us were transferred there. It is strange to see the decay over the years and to see some of my old mates signatures in the T. R. book. I'm glad you took an interest in the old place.
There is a photo of a signalman working the job on Flickr taken just before it closed.
Joe

dave

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hello Dave, I was a relief Signalman at Tyne Box from 1976 until 1991-The whole area was transferred to Gateshead IECC ( Computerised) and a few of us were transferred there. It is strange to see the decay over the years and to see some of my old mates signatures in the T. R. book. I'm glad you took an interest in the old place.
There is a photo of a signalman working the job on Flickr taken just before it closed.
Joe
Hey thanks for that jonjos very interesting indeed. Ive had a fascination for the place for many years, i dont know if you are aware its been completely flattened now nothing left, sad really. I,ll check out that photo on flickr too cheers dave.

jj north

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Sorry to drag up an old thread. But more buildings are in the process of demolition here now. The main office is next to go with the lighting towers going shortly after. Main office is very close to live parts of the railway so be careful if you venture in