real time web analytics
Report - - Tytherington Quarry - Gloucestershire - April 2017 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Tytherington Quarry - Gloucestershire - April 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Mobutu

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Visited with @Polo and a non-member

Brief History:

The Tytherington Stone Company opened these quarries in 1880 and a rail link was built in 1888. Grovesend Quarry, the central one, was opened in 1902 due to the demand for stone to build the Royal Edward Dock at Avonmouth, and weekly output of 850 to 895 tons was taken by rail directly to Avonmouth. By 1990 weekly output was about 30,000 tons.

A more extensive write up can be found here for anyone who's interested can be found here:
http://www.tytheringtonroots.co.uk/Quarries1.htm

This was a lovely explore, there was no sign of any security and access to most of the buildings as well as the site itself was fairly easy. The older buildings are in great condition considering the site has been mothballed for quite some time.

More of my stuff: https://www.flickr.com/photos/142614461@N04/

jggnGxl.jpg

Las40ao.jpg

nxGOnds.jpg

4mTCei0.jpg

LA0s34M.jpg

cqYVxYI.jpg

AoP8JYx.jpg

8SVi7b1.jpg

2hB1u7k.jpg

xGWZtEM.jpg

x49nyMa.jpg

YedRGFM.jpg

IuxIW8a.jpg

Mobutu

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
sorry for the fucking colossal photos, not sure what happened there

Polo

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
As Mobutu said, I/we found this place to be really enjoyable. I'd like to thank @Lenston for bringing this site back to my attention with his reports - I'm glad to have finally made the short journey over to the other side of the river for it! I had actually forgotten about Tytherington for a while after thinking about visiting earlier last year but, as you could probably guess by the photos, I don't think we could've picked a better day in terms of the weather. Here are a few of my photos from our visit:

kVq5NXR.jpg

nqZoC4l.jpg

A8oflK6.jpg

z9Q8BtF.jpg

0p6RmxZ.jpg

VMMxh1z.jpg

C62tw47.jpg

RQ7MfMj.jpg

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
Nice, one of my local explores. Did you get any more shots of the tunnel? Its good one with some nice features inside.

Mobutu

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice, one of my local explores. Did you get any more shots of the tunnel? Its good one with some nice features inside.
Just two others unfortunately, my flash was malfunctioning so I haven't got any proper interiors. Polo may have a few though.

bwstSF3.jpg

B4YCYft.jpg