real time web analytics
Report - - Tytherington Tunnel, Glos - Mar 2015 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Tytherington Tunnel, Glos - Mar 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
u1olQgZ.png

Tytherington Tunnel, Glos - Mar 2015

History.

There is a huge amount of history online about the Yate - Thornbury branch line which the Tunnel is on, so I have included some links to those at the bottom of this section. The tunnel's history has been pretty uneventful although in 1954 a train driver reported an incident to the Yate stationmaster that a quarry worker had been hit by the train in the tunnel as he was taking a shortcut home from work. Amazingly he only received minor injuries and completely recovered. It later turned out that the worker was deaf and simply hadn't heard the train approaching!

The branch line opened in 1869 but was not completed until 1972 due to the last two and a bit miles of track needing two tunnels to be created. The longer of the two at 224 yards was to be found 5 miles from the start of the branch and very close to Tytherington Station which gives the tunnel its name.

Tytherington Station
pI9DtBu.jpg

The shorter tunnel at only 167 yards was closed to passengers on 19th June 1944 and goods a few years later in 1966. Unfortunately this tunnel is very solidly bricked up and in unaccessible.

Grovesend
o9YeSBS.jpg

(c) Weirdoldhattie

The line still carried small amounts of freight but with the quarry closure and the section of track from the quarry to thornbury being dismantled the line has been declared 'Out of Use' from mid 2013. Although this designation is officially temporary it doesn't look like it'll reopen in the near future in spite of a few local councillors geting all excited about it.​

Links

http://www.tytheringtonroots.co.uk/Yate_to_Thornbury_Railway.htm
http://sms.thornburyroots.co.uk/Railway.htm

The Visit.

This place holds a special place in my heart as it was the subject of my first post on 28. While not having any decent camera equipment on us the first time I always wanted to go back and do it justice. As I have just made full member status I thought I'd share the revisit.

It was a somewhat overcast day and with a slight modification to the original access route we got in and out without any bother and a good deal quicker to boot. When we arrived we saw that quite a lot had changed and maybe my assumption that the line wouldn't be going back into service may of been a little hasty!

Just me and FIX1T on this one.

The Pics.

Looking back down the track towards the Quarry.
vDmTfrK.jpg

HXTPCHp.jpg

Tytherington Portal
ywtBVfP.jpg

HeD1pJH.jpg

Looking Back Out
UNM2478.jpg

The Brickwork lining only extends a short distance
gY3E8Pb.jpg

GLM2Qaz.jpg

Looking back towards the Thornbury Portal
nTFIPsZ.jpg

Things were very different this side from the previous visit about 8 months ago, lots of old railway debris and junk had been removed and the vegatation which was out in force had been completely removed!

KhTk4yB.jpg

G81KpJC.jpg

Looking in
f6JhMy2.jpg

Internals
ftVIoe4.jpg

7a9Fzf4.jpg

vzNrpCZ.jpg

SdrZOQZ.jpg

Some really nice calcite dribbles, lots of this all over the tunnel
mBCU4fV.jpg

5zBldsu.jpg

FIX1T helping with the lighting.
n7zmp8v.jpg

Quite a lot of repair work, not new though
eVq3RO4.jpg

Stunning air shaft
w82D3Iu.jpg

FRcAvv3.jpg

Quick Pano of the Quarry on the way out
ZQpxG2w.png

Thanks for looking!

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
The track and the lack of lining do make this one a bit special and worth the trip.

Punk

Punkus Explorus
28DL Full Member
That looks like it's cool tunnel :thumb interesting that it's not got a lining covering the interior on the tunnel