real time web analytics
Report (Permission Visit) - Ukraine -Balaklava Submarine base (Now part of Russia?) -Visit 2013 Report March 2014 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report (Permission Visit) Ukraine -Balaklava Submarine base (Now part of Russia?) -Visit 2013 Report March 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

benkar

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
We are now 10 km from Sevastopol, in a suburb of Sevastopol called Balaklava, in the Crimea, Ukraine (But now March 2014, it looks like the Crimean peninsula is part of Russia instead :eek: Will it be the same with the Baltic contries, Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania soon? :banghead -Now when the Russian bear sharpens its claws... :mad

Here you can visit a former topsecret Soviet underground base where they maintained and repaired submarines. The facility, which originally had the name "Object 825 GТС" located deep inside a mountain at Balaklava bay.

After the fall of the USSR in 1991, Ukraine became an independent state. 1993 closed the submarine base and 1996, the last Russians plant then left largely unattended. In 2000 was presented on more or less abandoned the plant to the Armed Forces of Ukraine, and in early 2003 it became a museum. (And in 2015, active Russian base again? And Ukraine a forced part of Greater Russia? )

The base was said to be nearly indestructible, designed to withstand a direct hit from a small nuclear bomb. Construction of the plant began in 1957 and ended in in 1961. The base is carved into the rocks and the inside covered with reinforced concrete. If the threat of nuclear attack could base shut hermetically by means of the automatic doors weighing 120 tons. The facility had its own bakery, warehouses for storage of food and fuel, even a small hospital. They also stored nuclear weapons in the rock.

The facility could maintain / repair and stock 7 pcs. submarines at once, but up to 14 submarines could fit inside the plant at the same time. The water depth in the tunnels is 8 feet, width 8 to 12 meters, height 18 meters. The length of the channels / tunnels for submarines is 380 meters.

There were at least 50 guards deployed to protect the plant from outsiders. It was very difficult to get permission to travel to / visit the town of Balaklava . A special KGB department were on hand to keep track of the employees who worked in the plant. The correct answer was expected : - "I do not know where I work, and I have no idea what I'm doing here , and I do not remember anything ".....

A few images directly in this repot, I am so upset that Ukraine can not get to live its life as a free state, and only prepared a few pictures for 28dayslater, but there are more (43) and larger images HERE!

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

more (43) and larger images HERE!

/B

Svend

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Re: Ukraine -Balaklava Submarine base (Now part of Russia?) -Visit 2013 Report March

Do you reckon now its in Russian hands once again it will become harder to visit (in regards to Russian Visas etc...)? Its always been on my to do list.

benkar

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Re: Ukraine -Balaklava Submarine base (Now part of Russia?) -Visit 2013 Report March

Do you reckon now its in Russian hands once again it will become harder to visit (in regards to Russian Visas etc...)? Its always been on my to do list.

If the Crimean peninsula really become part of Russia, and it seems the unfortunately become so :crazy Then it will the same visa requirements for Crimea as the rest of Russia.

Travel to Ukraine from the EU requires no visa, which is smoother. Applying for a visa to Russia is a bit more complicated and costs money. We visited Kaliningrad a few years ago. We had to have booked and paid the hotel in advance (it was difficult to pay because Russia is not in the bank paying system that almost every other country is in) before we could apply for a visa, visa cost about € 40-50 per person.

Then there is the issue of Balaklava Submarine base will remain as a the museum, or if the Russians will start storing submarines there again.... THEN it becomes difficult to visit.... :(

/B

Svend

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Thanks. I suspected as much. Ruddy Putin. I'm now worried that Pripyat being in the east may fall into Russian hands before I get chance to visit.

benkar

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

I'm now worried that Pripyat being in the east may fall into Russian hands before I get chance to visit.

I've been thinking the same thought... :mad

/B

latentux

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Amazing place. Like the images on your website too. :thumbs