Web
Analytics
Question - - ultra wide lens advice nikon fit | Photography and Video Forum | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - ultra wide lens advice nikon fit

merryprankster

Conrod the Barbarian
Regular User
i count 5 red tomatos vs 2 green peppers, tokina it is! ta muchly for chiming in gents greatly appreciated, ordering one tonight just hope it arrives in time for some action before i go back to work! thanks again people, if anyne fancys a budget tripod debate im in the market for a new one of those aswell! :D

merryprankster

Conrod the Barbarian
Regular User
oh and sorry camerashy, in repsonse to your question im rocking a d7100 so crop im afraid, think ive made my mind up though with the tokina, thanks again all

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Get the Grey import MK2 version ;)

Off some Ebay sellers.Guarantee no import Taxes or Customs duty to bite you in the Arse later lol

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Get the Grey import MK2 version ;)

Off some Ebay sellers.Guarantee no import Taxes or Customs duty to bite you in the Arse later lol
That's what they say, but it's not worth the paper it's printed on. It's just not something that can be guaranteed. Yes they might fill in the paperwork and say it's a gift worth $1, but if it raises any sort of suspicion you'll be liable or your lens gets impounded or returned to sender.

You don't get any kind of UK warranty with grey imports, so if you're buying new it's not very advisable.
I bought mine in 2009 from an Ebay seller 'fujisunrise', that seller offers a 'Tokina international warranty for two years'...

Fujisunrise Tokina 116 on Ebay

Whether that's worth anything I don't know. Seller also ships as a 'gift of no commercial value' which again is helpful but not the end of the matter as far as liability goes.

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
I just noticed that the above is the DX version for sale, and it costs £390. Balls to that.

Personally, I'd spend £284 on the DXII - http://goo.gl/WvdL62 - and spend £60 on an insurance policy. If it breaks just drop it on the floor and make a proper job of it.

merryprankster

Conrod the Barbarian
Regular User
Thanks for the advice again gents, got the dxii on order, I was going to ask about insurance for camera equipt, only recently got my d7100 & with this tokina I'll have 4 lens' so really need to get insured, do you guys insure each lens or do you just get a policy to cover all your equipt in one policy? Never insured anything other than my car so don't really know how it would work with multiple items, my mate said just go on mybubble but my first impressions of it were a bit shit, Can anyone recommend a bit more camera specific insurance company's to go with?

Rik UE

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Well it's 3-0 Els, get back to decorating or something :xgrin
If you need a Plumber give Els a shout, his handy work looked pretty good tbh on FB :D

I know you cant believe everything you read, but according to DX0 Mark which are pretty rigorous with their testing the Tokina is a better lens, but if you can pick a Sigma up cheap then that will still be a bargain.

browntog

28DL Member
28DL Member
Morning all,
anyone got any reccomendations for a decent ultra wide lens without breaking the bank? less than 20mm preferably, yeah i know i could go and read every photography review and comparison on the internet about ultra wides but id reather hear real life opinions from people doing the same kind of photos as me, low light, tight spaces, grotty locations etc etc. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated, except silly advice telling me i need a 3k 15mm zeiss lens or something stupid like that, value for money is the aim of the game here please, thank v muchly for your time ladys and jellyspoons.
Anyone tried the Tamron 1530 2.8? Love mine- great for low light and landsxape shots- can be used on full frame or crop. Im a Nikon user.

Korbanter

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Morning all,
anyone got any reccomendations for a decent ultra wide lens without breaking the bank? less than 20mm preferably, yeah i know i could go and read every photography review and comparison on the internet about ultra wides but id reather hear real life opinions from people doing the same kind of photos as me, low light, tight spaces, grotty locations etc etc. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated, except silly advice telling me i need a 3k 15mm zeiss lens or something stupid like that, value for money is the aim of the game here please, thank v muchly for your time ladys and jellyspoons.
I've managed to get myself a Sigma 1020 for a cropped frame Nikon, probably the best lens for it. All nikons (Apart from the new mirrorless ones) use the same mount.