real time web analytics
Report - - Ulysses Lodge, Ramla Bay, Gozo Island, Malta - September 2015 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Ulysses Lodge, Ramla Bay, Gozo Island, Malta - September 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Bertie Bollockbrains

There is no pain
Regular User
Continuing my mission to report on my archive of sites that were just too crap at the time to post...

Here's a dead hotel on the beauful island of Gozo (and Gozo beats Malta anyday by the way). Ironic that I am posting this tonight, as was meant to be flying to Central America tomorrow for a long trip that was booked a year ago :mad:

I guess when travel does return, all hotels in the Med will be looking like this...

HISTORY

The Ulysses Lodge was operational in the 1980s hosting weddings and events as well as offering accomodation. It was a controversial building which stirred protest from the neighbouring villages because of its imposing landscape in such pristine land - Ramla Bay is the best beach on Gozo you see. The Lodge fell into disrepair and many attempts and applications were filed for this site for further development. None went through. In 2008 the owners had applied for the demolition of the existing complex and the construction of 23 self-catering villa-style residential units with underground parking spaces, sub-stations and pools, rejected for the reasons already listed.

Unsure on the current status of this site as this visit was six years ago but I have seen recent photographs of the Lodge suggesting it is still there albeit now totally covered in graffiti.

1. The Lodge dominates the landscape above Ramla Bay
50838186453_bd17886a78_b.jpg

2. On closer inspection, the building looks as if it was never finished. But it was in use during the 1980s
50838932641_43b40b1f30_b.jpg

3. The Lodge had a huge patio with views of the sandy bay
50838930461_4ddd13ed2d_b.jpg

4. The patio was dominated with a water feature
50839005607_47ae9714fd_b.jpg

5. The doors were built in traditional Maltese architectural style. The Maltese people make a big point of putting elaborate door knockers, known as Ħabbata on this type of door, but they were pinched from this one. We are only in the second week of lockdown, so I will save my long discussion on Maltese knockers for another day in the lockdown.
50838927286_a4b2d9f86a_b.jpg

6. One of two massive arched halls (known as ħnejja in local lingo)
50838197868_5954460a2f_b.jpg

7. The kitchen
50838190208_78e9ed357e_b.jpg

8. No point showing photos of the rooms, they were all bare and the photos just get worse. One more taken from the roof showing Ramla Bay - lets all sit down and take a moment to admire that as it's the closest to a holiday we will get this year
50839002502_2edd4c3bf8_b.jpg

Last edited: