real time web analytics
Report - - Underground cellar/obelisk, High Street, Bristol - Dec 2019 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Underground cellar/obelisk, High Street, Bristol - Dec 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Seffy

SWC
Staff member
Underground cellar in central Bristol - the obelisk on High St by Castle Park (opposite former Norwich Union building)

First off this is by far NO epic, but I think one of the questions I've ben asked about exploring in Bristol is 'what's down that door by Bristol Bridge' or ' have you been down that door by Castle Park sticking out the ground?'... well finally after years in this game we managed to get into this tiny little obelisk which houses a staircase going underground.

I think potentially some of the old skool lot like @Speed / @dweeb / @Oxygen Thief got in here back in the day but never saw any pics?

You hear all sorts of rumours as to what's down here. Things like a secret WW2 bunker, toilets, tunnels leading to the river Avon, secret MI5 office and even a potential cannabis farm. Well I can confirm that none of these theories are right. It's a much more bland and anti climatic truth. It's simply an old cellar that is believed to have been built in the 1300s or 1400s. It would have likely been used to store wine and other imports that came into the city via the river.

The staircase going down is the thinnest staircase I've ever used, and I can think of a few people who would seriously struggle to fit down it; I did! Although this is the only way in and out of it now, back when it was built there would have been another entrance which is evident from the change in brickwork in the cellar itself. It's split into two sections, which have a rather different feel to each other. Rumour is that one section was for storage and the other (with the nicer brickwork) would have been a showroom of sorts.

I have no idea who ripped the door in half (legit) but thank you to whoever did - it meant @WhoDaresWins and myself could finally scratch that itch :D

49581283766_92e7c98c83_b.jpg

Looking down:

49580794588_640baf124c_b.jpg

See what I mean?

49581503782_23fd59bb72_b.jpg

49581495817_b42fccc58f_b.jpg

49581256526_1eeda38330_b.jpg

Section one:

49581475632_9920a0922e_b.jpg

49581229671_d420744280_b.jpg

49581235801_b5da7268e8_b.jpg

49580711558_f297485be7_b.jpg

Section two:

49581219806_45de70f161_b.jpg

49581201281_866c2cf592_b.jpg

So there you have it - that's what's under that mysterious door! Nothing too exciting I'm afraid.

P.S. - the door has now been fixed :p

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Nice to scratch that itch. Pretty cool arches. Your probably right on storage but who knows. Nice one. Strange obelisk though, I wonder if theres a second blocked off entrance?

tallginge

more tall than ginger tho.....
Regular User
Haha glad yer got down in time. Proper sorted that door didn't they and jeez it is narrow! Thanks for sharing mate - bugged me for ages too :thumb

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
Good work boys. I recall Rooks managed to squeeze through the gap at the top of the door about 12 years ago with myself & Scotty watching on in amusement. Litterally about a 1.5ft gap!

I'm sure it probably should lead elsewhere, but sadly not!

tigger

mog
Regular User
The city council maintains a list of sites that are 'locally listed' as part of their HER. Several of the cellars around that area were considered for full listing but with nothing to give them context full listing was not applied for.

Gasman

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice one. I live in Bristol and wondered what it looked like down there. Cool. Thanks for sharing

jezzyboo

28DL Regular User
Regular User
very good pics sometimes the little ones are more rewarding loving the spiral staircase down :thumb

Seffy

SWC
Staff member
Good work boys. I recall Rooks managed to squeeze through the gap at the top of the door about 12 years ago with myself & Scotty watching on in amusement. Litterally about a 1.5ft gap!

I'm sure it probably should lead elsewhere, but sadly not!

Not sure even 6 years ago when I was wasting away that I could have fitted through that gap!

Who has read this thread (Total: 589) View details