Lead or Rumour info - - Underground Flour Mills, Malta | Leads, Rumours and News... | 28DaysLater.co.uk
  • Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections, plus Private & Local Groups and a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. However, creating an account allows you to search, post replies, start new threads, use bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems. Also, it removes some ads.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Lead or Rumour info - Underground Flour Mills, Malta

Bertie Bollockbrains

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Here's an international lead and something completely different:

8 underground flour mills were built by the British in Malta during the Cold War, well 1954-55 to be precise, to be used in the event of civil emergency and to ensure a supply of bread in event of war. Some have been destroyed but a few remain.

I know that one is on Gozo at Xlendi and behind the church and is said to the best preserved with all original equipment in place and 3 storeys high inside - pictures here and more and bigger pictures here. It is very occasionally open to the public. The other 7 are/were on Malta Island. Info about the one at Mgarr. One is at Mistra near to Xemjija (this one is also open to the public very occasionally) and another at San Gwann near the primary school.

Technical info: The underground mills consisted of an entrance tunnel, some 30 meters long, 2.5 meters high and 3 meters wide, leading into a large chamber. This chamber was divided into three floors and housed the storage, grinding and milling equipment. A grain silo with a storage capacity of about 1000 tons was situated at the rear of the mill. This was connected to the milling machinery by mechanical augers. The silo had access from the surface. The mill was supplied and installed by the British Company Thomas Robinson of Rochdale, England. It was powered by an 80 hp diesel engine and an alternator supplied the electrical power.