real time web analytics
Report - - Underground Fuel Storage Bunkers - Poole - Feb 2012 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Underground Fuel Storage Bunkers - Poole - Feb 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Chaos

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Here's some brief history shamelessly robbed from fivemagics report a while ago

In terms of history I can elaborate a little beyond the tale of one tank got bombed and is now a swamp and say it used to be a bulk depot supplying the flying boats that flew from Poole harbour in WW2 based at former RAF Hamworthy, and also other bases nearby. If you look on google maps you can see where RAF Hamworthy used to be marked by the military landing craft of the Royal Marines who took over the site after the RAF base shut down in 1944 (although the Navy occupied it for a short time between whiles).

According to an account at the time of the bombing: "a 500 kg (estimated) bomb fell near the edge of one of the C2 tanks at the point of the pipe inlets, went through the roof and probably detonated on the tank bottom. Half the roof blew off and the tank side and inlet section blew out. Some roof support columns were destroyed. Because the bomb detonated in the fuel contents there was no fire. There was no damage to adjacent tanks and spilled fuel was retained by the bund wall and most of it was recovered."

I also read elsewhere that it was empty at the time and so minimal colleteral damage was caused. Who knows.

Since this was a WW2 incident the censors would have ensured that details were suppressed to deny the enemy the information, much as they did about the alien experiments.

I visited with Innercityrob and spiderpig, another local explore for us. Nothing really very exciting but it passed a few hours on an otherwise dull evening. One thing that did catch my eye was the old Ericsson phone on the wall. This place was under about 18" of water too!

DSC_0097.jpg

DSC_0101.jpg

DSC_0103.jpg

DSC_0105.jpg

DSC_0108.jpg

DSC_0110.jpg

DSC_0119.jpg

DSC_0121.jpg

DSC_0137.jpg

DSC_0141.jpg

DSC_0146.jpg

DSC_0152.jpg

DSC_0193.jpg

DSC_0203.jpg

Ellis Lake

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I went here today and could only find one entrance but was welded up, is there another entrance to the underground site does anyone know?

Ellis Lake

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
It took us 2 hours to find one entrance and looked everywhere for anything but couldn't find anything apart from some weed plants being grown

Ellis Lake

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
You didn't look very hard then!
Everything is overgrown, literally we could only find one concrete entrance which didn't look like what I saw in the pics on this thread however it is the same site as the rest of the pics from outside are the same. The entrance we found was near where all the rubbish was dumped but it was welded shut, can anyone help me out and explain where, we literally went over the whole site. My entire legs are cut to bits from all the prickly bushes we walked through for hours. Please help me

Oakley1981

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hey, we went today. Easy access into site and a pretty obvious one too. I'm not sure where you were looking but we found everything and more. I am however wondering whether there are two bunkers, we spent around 2 hours searching. My reasoning is, the structure of my photo differs to the one here. We found the red brick shed, a newspaper dated 2008 inside. Opposite the shed was less of an obstacle and not overgrown we discovered the air vent, not far we found a fenced off area and a wall behind it, a huge crater and sheer drop behind, we didn't venture there. Heading back we found two more buildings by the entrance, too high up a walk and way too overgrown, we'll go back at some point. So we found 5 buildings, 1 vent and a huge drop. We visited the first obvious building opposite the rubbish but was sealed up, it could be opened but we're not too into that. Second we found the entrance (to what we thought was in the photos) I beg to differ it's the same. The structure of concrete is different and the layout to it different. Anyway the one we found had a big iron gate across, my 6'5 hubby did manage to squeeze through the bars but the next door was very sealed. I have some pictures if anyone would like to compare the two entrances.

Ellis Lake

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
In that pic were the iron bars pulled apart in the middle so fit someone through if not it's a different site but it looks very familiar however I could only find one entrance which looked like that. Is there somewhere we can talk so I can figure out where you went and I can go back and visit it etc

Thanks

Oakley1981

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
In that pic were the iron bars pulled apart in the middle so fit someone through if not it's a different site but it looks very familiar however I could only find one entrance which looked like that. Is there somewhere we can talk so I can figure out where you went and I can go back and visit it etc

Thanks
Hey Ellis, do you want to text or email me?

Last edited:

Oakley1981

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
If admin can't post my number please post my email. Ellis I'm working where it is thurs/fri. If my email gets to you message and ill meet you up there and show you in, If I'm finished I'll come after work and weather reasonable I'm come in and show you around. Wear something comfortable with good trainers, I wear tracky bottoms and a hoody, bad brambles but you'll need to be supple with the areas that need squeezing through. If it's crap all week and you want to go to bunker wear old trainers or boots. It's wet!