real time web analytics
Underground Manchester - Keith Warrender | Books and Media | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Underground Manchester - Keith Warrender

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

anubis

28" Member
28DL Full Member
This may already be common knowledge - not sure.

Keith Warrender wrote an excellent book entitled 'Underground Manchester' - back in 2007.
I am still intending to buy a copy of that!

Well, apparently in 2009 he wrote another book - 'Below Manchester: Going Deeper Under the City'.

If anyone has read these are they any good?

Just found this also: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cold-War-Bunkers-Nick-Catford/dp/0956440525/ref=pd_sim_b4

Last edited:

girth

28DL Member
28DL Member
I read the first one and thought it was OK. Bought the second one and thought it was really more of a rewritten version of the first book with more content and more pictures than a completely new book. I actually wrote a review of it on Amazon saying this and giving it 3* and Keith contacted me via Amazon and gave me a lot of grief for the review, demanding I modified or removed it! In the end I got fed up of arguing so deleted it, emailed him to say I'd deleted the review and he gave me even more grief, saying I shouldn't have given such a low score in the first place!

tweek

SNC/SWC
Regular User
Yes they are both decent enough books. I actually went to a talk of his a couple of years ago at Moston Library. Naturally, he doesn't endorse urban exploration so it's more an explanation of where the underground sites are with some local history and backstory from people with first hand experience and some rather uninspiring photography. The second book at least has colour photos.

There's also an I Love Manchester video kicking about on youtube that interviews him (and I think they go for a wander under Great Northern too).

Generally worth a read if you live in the area.

tweek

SNC/SWC
Regular User
Here's the video. It's rather naff, but thought I better follow up with a link...

Styru

Admin
28DL Full Member
I actually wrote a review of it on Amazon saying this and giving it 3* and Keith contacted me via Amazon and gave me a lot of grief for the review, demanding I modified or removed it! In the end I got fed up of arguing so deleted it, emailed him to say I'd deleted the review and he gave me even more grief, saying I shouldn't have given such a low score in the first place!

You should have just forwarded them on to Amazon - it is very much against their T&C's - they would have removed his account, an quite possible removed his books from sale.

paulpowers

Massive Member
Regular User
Found some fascinating stuff tweek mate -
- is a short video all about the tunnels underneath Victoria Stn. which have seen myself when i worked there.

Let's not mention how easy they are to access, I'll be heading back with my camera soon

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Let's not mention how easy they are to access, I'll be heading back with my camera soon

Good luck with that, last time we were down we got busted on the way out, the bloke told us the site was being monitored out of hours since someone cut a certain lock off last year.. It will become do-able again at some point these sites almost always certainly do

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Has anyone actually been beneath that cattle bridge? Would LOVE to see it from below!

Will this do you

Lurk.jpg

canute

货车司机和国王
28DL Full Member
That is a lovely shot :thumb

I wasn't too impressed with the 2nd book (KW's probably going to email 28DL now telling us to remove this post :rolleyes:)

tweek

SNC/SWC
Regular User
Actually, just remembered that when I saw him in Moston I may well have name-dropped 28dl... and I seem to remember him saying he'd got in contact with someone from here.

It'd be good to know who he spoke to and what he was inquiring about. I got the impression he had a lot of contempt for modern 'explorers' while at the same time lionising people who did it 50 years ago - when I would imagine it was a lot easier then than it is now! Unless your Ojay that is ;)

anubis

28" Member
28DL Full Member
Nice one Ojay! I agree! Yep! THAT is the one! Awesome shot!
I would soooooooooo love to stand under that!
must be a great feeling that.
yeah, KW can go do one - if it's there in my opinion it is there to be enjoyed!
On here we help keep our history alive FAR better than ANY conservation unit IMO.
28DL KICK ASS!

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Take a boat, the trolley has now gone, and it's past chest deep, which does make me wonder how most people weren't wearing waders for that beach party thing?