real time web analytics
Question - - Underground newbie | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - Underground newbie

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

haych

Keep it real
28DL Full Member
So i'm a long time explorer, but i'm very new to the underground stuffs, and by new, i mean virtually an underground virgin, bar a few caves in castleton that were guided tours.

I'm not asking for an invite, nor am i asking for info on entry , but i have done about as much research as i can, alot of people have probably seen me in the shoutbox asking questions or had a couple of convos with me through pm's, wondering if anybody has any advice for me other than whats already noted in the safety threads. and on top of that if anybody could point me in the right direction of some "beginner" or easy caves/mines i can access by myself without too much risk of deading myself so that i can get a feel for things underground it would be great ( closer to south yorkshire the better but i will travel)

Willing to put in the hard work and research myself finding the entrances and getting up there, but with having no immediate people round me that are into this sort of stuff, im coming up short trying to find any more info than what i have found myself and what other people on here have given me... thanks in advance for any help.

pirate

Rum Swigger
28DL Full Member
South Yorkshire isn’t my area but have you thought of joining a local caving club ? You can learn all the basics through them and then venture onto other mines/caves when you have more experience/confidence ?

Punk

Punkus Explorus
28DL Full Member
Not sure if you're interested in drains, and someone has probably already told you this, but look on a map. You'll see blue lines for rivers, brooks etc, then you notice some, particularly in cities and railways, they disappear then reappear later on. That'll probably be a culvert.

monk

mature
28DL Full Member
Some nice easy mines in North Wales, as long as your not a total youtube goon I'm always happy to take genuinely interested people in.
Id rather that than someone attempted them on there own because they didnt feel like they had contributed enough in some way. :thumb

Down and beyond

The true source of englands wealth is coal
Regular User
Some nice easy mines in North Wales, as long as your not a total youtube goon I'm always happy to take genuinely interested people in.
Id rather that than someone attempted them on there own because they didnt feel like they had contributed enough in some way. :thumb
Is that why you take me because I can’t contribute ! And I have always considered us a team !! ;)

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
Also there is already a thread for newbie underground explorers.

My advice would be start with stone mines and work your way up from there. If you can find someone who's prepared to take you under their wing so to speak then that would be the best place to start or join a caving club.

alex17595

Down t'pit
Regular User
Did you say you live in sheffield? Have a look at the Stoney Middleton area, theres a few mines to keep you occupied there, nothing massive to get lost in and some are part mined out caves. Popular with groups as well so if you break your leg you won't have to wait long!

I'm always up for showing people around places and boring them to death my commentary.

I'm South Derbyshire way but make a regular pilgrimage to Wales

Down and beyond

The true source of englands wealth is coal
Regular User
Nah it was because you wouldn't stop begging and I felt sorry for ya :gay;)
The day I beg to drive 460 miles get soaked crawl around in. Wet old slate mine I’ll let you no !! Until then I’ll wait for you to beg for my knowledge so we find are way around ;)

Nink

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
If you've been to Castleton, and are from the Peaks, there's loads of stuff that's open in that area, a bit of Goooogling and you'll be sorted for a day trip UG.

haych

Keep it real
28DL Full Member
Thank you all, all the help and advice is really appreciated and definitely listened too!