real time web analytics
Report - - Underground Radio Station, Portsmouth, May 10 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Underground Radio Station, Portsmouth, May 10

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Ryno118

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This was a solo explore. UrbanCreed mentioned this site during a previous explore, so I looked into it and since its close to my work I decided to take a walk and explore it after work.

This small site was build during WW2. It was tunnelled the into the face of the Paulsgrove chalk pit to house a secure radio station. The aerial masts were positioned on the top of the hill above the station and acted as the transmitting/receiving station for Fort Southwick UGHQ. The distance between Fort Southwick and the Radio Station is 1/2 a mile. This was to keep attention away from UGHQ which is where the Allied Commanders (including Winston Churchill, General Eisenhower, General Montgomery, etc.) conducted the D-day landings. They were connected by secure communications lines.

paulsgrove_chalkpit_army_magazine_g.gif

From "Portsdown Tunnels - Researching the sites of Portsdown, Portsmouth, UK"

Sorry about the crap photos. I didn't take my tripod and was trying different ways to try and take shots without using flash where possible.

Paulsgrove chalk pit
DPP_0001.jpg

A sign showing this to be the site of the Paulsgrove skull, with the escape portal in the background.
DPP_0002.jpg

The escape portal. This is the easyest point of access. Its used to be at ground level but due to the fact that the chalk pit has been quarried out since WW2, it is now about 40ft up.
DPP_0003.jpg

View out of the escape portal with Portsmouth harbour in the background.
DPP_0004.jpg

After the long walk and climb, I decided to take a break and enjoy the view. It was a hot day but the shelter was surprisingly cool.
DPP_0017.jpg

Escape portal
DPP_0005.jpg

Escape portal
DPP_0006.jpg

Chamber 2 leading to the stairs.
DPP_0007.jpg

The alcove in Chamber 2. At the back on the right is a 6 inch borehole leading to up to the surface.
DPP_0010.jpg

The borehole
DPP_0008.jpg

Chamber 2
DPP_0009.jpg

The stairs leading up to chamber 1
DPP_0018.jpg

The "Paulsgrove Skull" is legendary among the locals. Someone spent a lot of time, in the dark, on a staircase with a low ceiling to do this.
From "Portsdown Tunnels - Researching the sites of Portsdown, Portsmouth, UK"
DPP_0016.jpg

Stairs leading down to chamber 2
DPP_0011.jpg

Chamber 1
DPP_0012.jpg

Tunnel leading to the The main entrance
DPP_0013.jpg

Side tunnel. Dead end.
DPP_0014.jpg

View from the main entrance
DPP_0015.jpg

It was a fun little explore and for the second time in a week, I managed to get myself covered in freakin chalk! Cheers.