real time web analytics
Question - - Underground reservoir in Chatham Kent | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - Underground reservoir in Chatham Kent

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

ChiefBrody

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I grew up in the Lordswood area of Chatham Kent. Many years ago I remember reading about a secret entrance to a Southern Water underground reservoir located near the roundabout at the Luton Rec end of North Dane way. Supposedly the entrance led to concrete stairs that went down to a jetty. Southern Water used to have their HQ at the bottom of North Dane but that had since been demolished and turned into housing. Anyone have any more information?

Hidinginplanesite

Khurbanx
28DL Full Member
It sounds like your about the nuclear bunker - what people refreance as the M2 bunker , I live in Medway towns to ! If that what your on about it recently got flooded :mad:

ChiefBrody

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I think the bunker you are referring to is the Southern water control bunker located south of the Farthing Corner services on the M2. I am looking for information about an underground reservoir located near the old Southern water HQ at the bottom of North Dane way adjacent to Luton Rec.

Maniac

rebmeM LD82
Regular User
The southern water bunker is much further away, totally different place.

I happen to Live very close (like 300 metres) away from the area you're referring to, but there is no underground reservoir in that area as far as I'm aware.. If you think about it why would there be, it's totally the wrong area for a reservoir as you're in the bottom of a valley. However, there are fairly extensive drains in the area that thus far I've been unable to get into despite having a good walk around looking for access (I know they're there I have the plans) and it's possible that this underground "jetty" might be a chamber or something relating to this - maybe I'll go have a more thorough look around the area. Southern Water still have a pumping station at the bottom of North Dane Way, but their old HQ buildings have been demolished, you're right.

There are two reservoirs located at the top of the hill just off ash tree lane, these are disused now and due to be demolished for housing, but thus far no work has started.

ChiefBrody

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Maniac...Many thanks for your update. I agree that it is highly unlikely that there is a reservoir or underground lake at the bottom of North Dane way ! My recollection of the newspaper report about this site is vague. However I do remember references to a heavy concrete access hatch, concrete steps/ staircase and a small boat tied to the underground jetty. Best of luck with your search.

Urdanjarrett

28DL Member
28DL Member
A storm drain of sorts can be found at the top of lordswood which leads into some rooms/water Chamber, not very big but a cool location for a lordswood local like myself to find.

montythegod

28DL Member
28DL Member
Yesterday, speaking with a client he tells me there is a small fenced off area about 100 metres up hopewell drive that has access to an underground jetty, he has a business just up from it and southern water have been doing work there recently ;)

ChiefBrody

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Many thanks for your update. The Hopewell Drive location sounds very promising as it fits with the idea that the reservoir is under North Dane Way

ChiefBrody

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I tried to add some photos of the site to this thread but for some reason the pics aren’t visible…. Any advice on adding photos would be appreciated

Who has read this thread (Total: 446) View details