real time web analytics
Question - - Underground thing - Birkenhead - what is it? | General Exploring Chat Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - Underground thing - Birkenhead - what is it?

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

mommus

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I've often wondered what lives beneath the metal grating here: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3837821,-3.0330667,37m/data=!3m1!1e3

There's no signage on the fencing to suggest what's there (electric board, water etc) and the two tiers of fencing suggest there's something fairly fragile or dangerous there (or maybe, just that it's in Birkenhead)

I'd also wondered whether it was just something to do with the tanks of the petrol station, but according to the staff there it's not part of the station site.

There's obviously been some kind of heavy construction there, and judging from the design of the retaining wall behind, it was carried out in the 50s or 60s.

I've looked at maps that show the Queensway Tunnel, and various rail lines, and none seem to pass under there.

Yorrick

A fellow of infinite jest
28DL Full Member
according to the staff there it's not part of the station site

They're wrong. If you do some research on the Land Registry and the local council planning database you'll find that it used to have LPG tanks on it for the petrol station and you'll also find dates for when the retaining wall was built. My guess would be the grill is a bund for the LPG.

mommus

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Good searching skills.

I'd tried the local planning database, but I was searching under the address given by Google maps, which brings up only 3 old 1990s apps.

I'm amazed a wall built in 2003 looks so haggered.

Anyway... nothing to see here. Move along.