real time web analytics
Report - - Underneath Brighton Station 08/01/08 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Underneath Brighton Station 08/01/08

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

F

FLUB

My first report with pictures so go easy on me!

Brighton Station was opened in 1840. Back then they used to have horse and carridges as taxis that used to come into the station from Trafalgar Street then up a cobbled road into the station between platforms 7 and 8.

This road is still there mostly untouched. Some of the premises on one side of the cobbled road are the offices and crew rooms for drivers and platform staff/cleaners, these are still active. At the top end they have bricked up the tunnel for some reason, I understand there are access there to the long tunnels under the platforms that used to be used as firing ranges for a local gun club.

Anyhow, here are the pics all taken hand held so sorry for the poor light in them and I was on my own trying to sort out my torch and camera...

Main door in Trafalgar Street
BrightonUndercroft-50.jpg

Original castings from the roof of the station when it was redone in 1999
BrightonUndercroft-13.jpg

BrightonUndercroft-15.jpg

Old Meter!
BrightonUndercroft-16.jpg

Air Vent; Loads of these about
BrightonUndercroft-17.jpg

Some kind of loading bay
BrightonUndercroft-23.jpg

A handy open door!!!
BrightonUndercroft-26.jpg

Looking back the way I walked up
BrightonUndercroft-28.jpg

Behind the bricks up ahead near the light is the other tunnels and where the road used to go up to the platforms.
BrightonUndercroft-29.jpg

These small rooms must have been workshops of some kind.....
IMG_7932.jpg

BrightonUndercroft-30.jpg

BrightonUndercroft-32.jpg

The wall is bricked up to prevent access to the other tunnels but here looks like a way in, someone has recenty installed some kind of heating pipe.
BrightonUndercroft-41.jpg

You can see the line of bricks going up diagonally, this is where the tunnel went up to the surface between platforms 7&8.
BrightonUndercroft-44.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Els

Obsessed with BS7671
Regular User
Yea that's pretty cool. Wonder what it's like these days.