real time web analytics
Report - - Unfinished Skyscraper, Ukraine, May 2012 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Unfinished Skyscraper, Ukraine, May 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Darmon_Richter

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This site in Kiev consists of a cluster of six skyscrapers, each reaching a height of thirty-six floors. Construction started in 2001, but was abruptly halted in 2004 due to a lack of funds. By this stage two of the buildings had been finished, but the other four remained as empty shells.

I have been told that security used to be pretty lax around the site, until a girl committed suicide by throwing herself from the top of one of the buildings in 2011. Since then things got a bit tougher, with a large metal fence erected around the site and a team of security guards patrolling the area around the clock.

I managed to find a way over the fence at the back, where it runs along a riverbank. I visited at lunchtime, and it seemed that the four guards were eating, or playing a game of cards in their little hut - either way, they seemed to be temporarily occupied, making it possible to sneak quickly inside.

Very little has been done to the inside of the building, and so there really wasn't too much to see on the interior - scattered concrete blocks, a few rusty tools and the like. However, the building I climbed did offer some incredible views over Kiev. It's one of the tallest buildings in the area, and from here I was able to see as far as the old city with its gold-domed churches and giant statue of Mother Russia.

For more photos check out the full report on The Bohemian Blog: The Rooftops of Kiev: Climbing a Shard of Concrete

Cheers!
DR.

Rooftop-Unfinished-Skyscraper-Kiev-Ukraine-by-D-Richter-1_zps58266dd6.jpg

Rooftop-Unfinished-Skyscraper-Kiev-Ukraine-by-D-Richter-2_zpse3bfbe6f.jpg

Rooftop-Unfinished-Skyscraper-Kiev-Ukraine-by-D-Richter-3_zpseb91abdf.jpg

Rooftop-Unfinished-Skyscraper-Kiev-Ukraine-by-D-Richter-4_zps9f1d252c.jpg

Rooftop-Unfinished-Skyscraper-Kiev-Ukraine-by-D-Richter-5_zps10d6b753.jpg

Rooftop-Unfinished-Skyscraper-Kiev-Ukraine-by-D-Richter-6_zps26490077.jpg

Rooftop-Unfinished-Skyscraper-Kiev-Ukraine-by-D-Richter-7_zps2d3ec1b5.jpg

Rooftop-Unfinished-Skyscraper-Kiev-Ukraine-by-D-Richter-8_zps47b22bdd.jpg

Rooftop-Unfinished-Skyscraper-Kiev-Ukraine-by-D-Richter-9_zps8db70b89.jpg

Rooftop-Unfinished-Skyscraper-Kiev-Ukraine-by-D-Richter-10_zps7b8b7d38.jpg