real time web analytics
Report - - Union Building, Aldershot, May 2010 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Union Building, Aldershot, May 2010

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Flubbera87

L.I.F.E.G.O.E.S.O.N
28DL Full Member
Ahh, it was good to get back out there after a long break, and now as I finish work at 12.30 I have all afternoon to mooch around..(Does have its cons of starting at 3am :crazy )
I came across this place while driving around Aldershot scouting some army buildings and thought id give it a try.
Sorry for quality issues, but only had my point and shoot with me this time.
After spending over an hour trying to find a way in, then to gain access and start snapping away, to find out my batteries were dying DER :banghead , So I had to find my way back out, run to "A Well known shopping market" and gain access all over again.
Anyway some history.

Grade II, Year Listed 1979
Old Union Poor House (Workhouse) (Formerly listed as Union Building under Aldershot Camp).

Date when first listed: 20/08/1979.

Originated as a residence of Sir Richard Tichborne, greatly extended following its use under the terms of the Poor Law Act of 1834. One of five buildings within the are purchased by the War Department in 1854, for the purpose of developing the Camp. Used by the Army 1854-79 as No. 2 Station Hospital, and afterwards as the District Pay Office.

1838-40. Of Jacobean style, the 2 storeyed main front has 3 gables and single storeyed wings; 1.3.1 windows. There is an extension to the rear, finishing with another black at right-angles. Red tile roofing throughout, with gables. Walling in red brick (English bond) with flush blue bricks in vertical, horizontal and diagonal lines, imitative of half-timbering rather than of Tudor diapers. On the front, there are mullion and transom windows, but also some recent insertions of small lights at first floor level. There is a gabled porch, with an open framed roof resting on a brick wall, with buttresses; the off-centre placing breaks the symmetry of the fenestration.

There have been later alterations to the buildings at the rear, being extensions and additional floors; the oldest part of the rear wall is in rubble ironstone, with red brick buttresses, dressings and horizontal bands. The end chimneys are Tudor stacks, diagonal on square bases.

Front of the building.

DSCF1969.jpg

DSCF1895.jpg

Back of the building.

DSCF1899.jpg

Gangway between the two buildings.

DSCF1904.jpg

DSCF1903.jpg

DSCF1928.jpg

Any body for some hot steamy action ?.

DSCF1901.jpg

Wee bit more history, (Sorry about the flash).

DSCF1918.jpg

I am not one !

DSCF1920.jpg

Who's in or out ?.

DSCF1965.jpg

Kiddies bathroom. Look at the wee sinks :p

DSCF1951.jpg

DSCF1950.jpg

DSCF1946.jpg

Adult bathroom.

DSCF1923.jpg

The rest of my photos from my quick visit...( as this place is right opposite Army carreers and on the main road where the military police like to drive up and down I was unsure if I had been seen or if there were any silent alarms.)

DSCF1912.jpg

DSCF1906.jpg

DSCF1914.jpg

DSCF1927.jpg

DSCF1926.jpg

Soooo it is empty, yes, big...yes, boring...maybe but it is part of Aldershots history and was one of the 1st Manor houses built in the area all those many years ago.

Thanks for looking.

Oh and if anybody is in the area anytime after 12 ( During the weekday), let me know as I have some good places that need to be cracked... :thumb

Forgot to mention that if anybody wants a nice warm night away...this is the place to go...The heating was whacked all the way up...

Last edited: