real time web analytics
Report - - Union (Masonic) Hall - Oldham (July 2017) | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Union (Masonic) Hall - Oldham (July 2017)

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Camera Shy

Old enough to know better
Regular User
Spotted this whilst out and about with @host - tempted by the description of an "Ornate 1830's ballroom" we thought it would be rude not to have a look.
In reality the place is rammed pull of old fruit machines, lighting rigs and chairs etc and you really can't see much of the good stuff. There's bit's of nice old signage here and there if you can be bothered clambering about to get to it - tbh I couldn't, there's a nice building in the somewhere though - I just grabbed a few shots, nice staircases etc but might give someone a taster who wants to do a better job.....

This large five storey 1830's Grade II Listed building is a former Masonic Lodge, with two large ballrooms, bars, lounges and kitchens. Supposedly one of the oldest lodges in Manchester if not the UK.
Seems to have closed about 10 years ago and last used as a club/function rooms.

For anyone interested in the actual architecture.......Grade 2 listed

Former Masonic Hall. c1880 with rear wing of 1924.
Rusticated rubble, coursed and squared in small blocks. Welsh
slate roof. 2 storeys raised over basement, 6-window range,
asymmetrically planned in Greek revival style. Entrance in
advanced bay towards the left, up steps in portico with fluted
Doric columns and triglyph frieze. Paired doors with heavy
raised panels. The frieze line of the portico is continued
across the facade as a plain string course. Tall casement
windows in ashlar architraves with moulded aprons below
architraves. Shouldered architraves to first floor openings,
but all but two of these are blind. Pediment over advanced
entrance and right-hand bays, triglyph frieze at eaves level,
and overhanging cornice. Later rear range of brick with stone
dressings. 2 storeys and attic. Polished granite entrance to
left with narrow stair windows over. Heavy rusticated
voussoirs to high first floor windows. Dated in cornice over
second storey, "AD MCMXXIV"
mas.jpg
mas2.jpg
mas3.jpg
mas4.jpg
mas6.jpg
mas7.jpg
mas8.jpg

EOA

Exploring with Bob
28DL Full Member
Another interesting report :thumb

I wonder if this is where Host meant in my Prudential report. I'll definitely have to have a look...

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Quality mate, i bet theres more to this place than we covered. Still nice report.

Derelict Detective

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
We have just come now to have a look but seems there's no legal way of getting in bit of a bummer. Travelled an hour to see this.

Esoteric Eric

28DL Regular User
Regular User
We have just come now to have a look but seems there's no legal way of getting in bit of a bummer. Travelled an hour to see this.

I checked it out the other day with no joy but there's plenty more in the area to keep you busy. I got in somewhere 10 minutes down the road that's not been done since 2013 and has most likely been accessible all along, just have to look.

UrbanFoxCub

Explore and love the adventure
Banned
There is a masonic hall in birmingham found it after we did MG motors in longbridge 2 week ago. And nice report. Check out the one in birmingham if u can from what i could find it only closed a year ago and no reports yet

UrbanFoxCub

Explore and love the adventure
Banned
My
Nice report. I might join the Masons now I know they just play on fruit machines.
My great grandad was a freemason. Never had fruit machines in the lodge he was in.

I never asked him what he did as a freemason or what it involved i wish i had asked now that i have done a 2 lodges. I bet he would of had some great stories.

bollockmaster

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
My

My great grandad was a freemason. Never had fruit machines in the lodge he was in.

I never asked him what he did as a freemason or what it involved i wish i had asked now that i have done a 2 lodges. I bet he would of had some great stories.

Well its highly unlikely he would tell you what goes on in the temple itself as we are all sworn to secrecy, but once all the secret stuff is over we eat drink and generally have, a jolly good laugh.
We also raise large amounts of money for charity. I have been a mason for 11 years and really enjoy it. Ive made countless new friends from all sorts of different backgrounds and professions that I otherwise would likely never have met. I enjoy the traditions and ceremonies that go on in the temple; largely unchanged for 300 years. Apart from the catholic church, I cant think of any institution that has remained unchanged for so long. The masons have always had a stigma around them due to the secrecy etc (which is all completely unfounded I might add) and in recent years it has been portrayed as a bit of an old boys club, which is rightly so in some lodges. For me its nice to spend an evening out with maybe 90 brothers who I know are all decent lads that you can trust 100%, as the pubs round me are just full of dickheads druggies and alkies.
Sorry this reply has come across as a bit of a recruitment drive (wasnt intentional).

Prism

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Wow, this is a gem. Despite frequently driving past this building I didn't know 1. It was abandoned or 2. That it was a masonic hall! Nice explore and images, might see if there is any life in it later on today or if there is a new opening to get inside and have a mooch around.