real time web analytics
Report - - Unknown Military structure, Invergordon 26/12/2007: | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Unknown Military structure, Invergordon 26/12/2007:

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

B

bryag

I have seen this structure from the road now for many years, and only just got round to visiting on Boxing day. I have no idea what the purpose of this structure was, but it lies about a mile east of former RAF Alness, and about a mile west of HMS Invergordon. Is is also about 350 yards West of Invergordon ROC (also visited the same day) I have a link for an XL Spreadsheet showing the layout here http://rapidshare.com/files/79509379/Unknown_Military_Structure_Invergordon.xls

Here is the flashearth link Zoom Earth | LIVE weather map, storm tracker, rain radar

Now on with the pics. It was blowing a gale force wind, so the longer exposure exterior shots were a bit too blurry to post. It was about 3.30pm by the time I arrived here so the light was not the best.

I would really appreciates any info anyone can share on this, or similar, installations:thumb

As seen from Invergordon ROC (About 350yds east)
DSC02864Medium.jpg

East side (note vents in top wall, these were all around (except the south facing wall)
DSC02869Medium.jpg

One of two large windows (North facing)
DSC02870Medium.jpg

West side
DSC02872Medium.jpg

Close up of vent showing manufacturers stamp
DSC02875Medium.jpg

Front entrance
DSC02876Medium.jpg

reverse view of above
DSC02878Medium.jpg

Small south facing window, purely for light as outlook is obscured by front wall
DSC02881Medium.jpg

From the roof in both directions. Structure measured approx 18 yards long by 6 yards wide
DSC02885Medium.jpg

DSC02891Medium.jpg

Interior shots: Interior consisted of one large room, with fireplace, in the middle portion, two easterly rooms (one with stairs out) and three westerly rooms(one with stairs)
DSC02893Medium.jpg

DSC02894Medium.jpg

DSC02895Medium.jpg

Remains of wood door frames
DSC02899Medium.jpg

Remains of wood vent covers
DSC02900Medium.jpg

Ghostly figure:eek:
DSC02901Medium.jpg

Not quite got the hand of writing my name backward
DSC02905Medium.jpg

Door and window in large room
DSC02909Medium.jpg

Fireplace
DSC02911Medium.jpg

There was evidence that there had once been conduit tubing ergo electricity and lighting (evidence of screw fixings in ceiling for light roses, and round holes in walls at ceiling level, are all that remain)
DSC02913Medium.jpg

DSC02914Medium.jpg

DSC02915Medium.jpg

Backward glance (serious wind, sorry for the poor quality)
DSC02925Medium.jpg

If anyone can shed light as to the purpose of this structure, with commanding views of the Cromarty Firth, I would be very grateful:D