real time web analytics
Report - - unknown pleasures ,Sheffield august 2020 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - unknown pleasures ,Sheffield august 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

jezzyboo

28DL Regular User
Regular User
this has been on my ' to do ' list for some time after seeing it on here and have periodically checked to see if access could be gained for the infall but its still gated over and the outfall is quite well hidden and hard to access but after doing a scout a few weeks back on the kayak i decided on a return trip , i knew from tarkys brill report that there was a stoopy section so decided to take the drains trolley with me to save my back . after clambering through what felt like an overgrown jungle i arrived nettled and scratched at the outfall

got kitted up and on my own in i went

a bit of all styles stone at the start spraycrete and brickwork

a real mix and match of styles then came the underground bridge love stuff like this

reminded me of the old bridge on the carbrook old outfall

looking back to the outfall metal pole sticking through the drain mind your head !

a few little drains to small to crawl empty in to the culvert

other side of the old bridge change in style to flat roof construction

er bit of deja vu here ! thought it was decepticon lol no problem with the trolley cart saved all that stooping

a tunnel spurring of looked interesting so had a peek up it

after a long way with a few 90% turns and manholes the end was this 400mm pipe oh well you win some lose some back out

looking back downstream to the old bridge

a bit further on and another split in the pipe this one was larger had a time going down this but the air was heavy and the pipe soon reduced to 900mm diameter also there was a section that was holding water got through that but progress was hard and there was a lot of silt and stones further up making it difficult for the wheels on the cart and with the last pipe proving a disappointment i bailed

a pic from inside the 900mm pipe , back to the main pipe the sound of a waterfall grew louder and louder

a view down the staircase, nice change from the rcp

at the top of the stair case there was a bit more rcp then a change in style to old brickwork you can see the gated infall ahead

the end or the infall no way out here !

going back out this leads to the stairs good shot of the drains trolley its a moving dolly with 5inch wheels highly recommended

looking from the start

manhole at top of staircase

this next snap was taken on the way out of a manhole near the start
the out fall .was hard work as in effect your doing the explore twice but enjoyed this one, access in and out of the outfall is difficult but it was worth it cheers for watching :thumb

Last edited:

tarkovsky

SWC
Regular User
Nice to see some more pics in here! It is really a pain having to walk it all the way back, but Yorks Water did a champion job of fixing that fence soon after we originally put pics up. The outfall is well hidden, if you don't know it's there! I like the wheeled contraption - that must make the worst bits easier. Was hoping you were going to have found a processor or something but those additional pipes all seem to reduce to nothing in here, don't they. Anyway, good stuff. :-)

jezzyboo

28DL Regular User
Regular User
cheers was hoping to find something new to add but not happening this time, the drains cart is just an oversized skateboard but it does help to get through the stoopy bits dont mind to much walking it back as you see it from a different angle and get a few more snaps but it was tiring

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Good effort this mate, you need to head over to Manc at some point and give yer back a stretch :p

tarkovsky

SWC
Regular User
Good effort this mate, you need to head over to Manc at some point and give yer back a stretch :p

Sheffield concedes that Manchester's drains defo have the edge, especially (and not only) in terms of standing room!

NuBoid

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
looks like you had a nice mooch there and got some great shots
that triple arched brickwork bridge is fab
What's crack with the trolley thing ??? is it a board on casters ???? though of cobbeling something like that myself

jezzyboo

28DL Regular User
Regular User
looks like you had a nice mooch there and got some great shots
that triple arched brickwork bridge is fab
What's crack with the trolley thing ??? is it a board on casters ???? though of cobbeling something like that myself
yeah its like a big skateboard its got 5inch plastic solid wheels it helps when it gets a bit stoopy you could easily knock something like that up only downside its noisy rubber tyres would have been better but for the price i cant complain , need bigger wheels than a skateboard to get over lumps and bumps its light enough to carry and when i can stand up in a drain i just clip it to my belt and pull it behind me . not practical for every drain but horses for courses i guess

Who has read this thread (Total: 281) View details