Web
Analytics
Lead or Rumour info - - Unknown underground site, White Edge moor, Derbyshire | Leads, Rumours and News... | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Lead or Rumour info - Unknown underground site, White Edge moor, Derbyshire

typeR

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi all, apologies for the vague information in advance.
Yesterday, I was reading an old thread on a local forum about old nuclear bunkers located around the sheffield area. Someone in the thread mentioned that there are bunkers on the moors heading out (east) of Sheffield into the peak district and cited his friend was bidding on one of them which apparently still had a working air filtration system. I realised that this couldn't have been an ROC post as there are non specified on the subbrit map, even close to where the user was saying these bunkers were. I got on google maps looking for any odd looking concrete structures or clearings on the moors and found what looked like a small concrete building on the edge of the moor, about 30ft from a minor A road. A look on streetview confirmed that it was a small stone buiding with a sloped concrete roof, built slightly buried in the ground. I went for a quick look today with low expectations of it being a store for farmers equiptment or building material. Suprisingly, the building had a steel reinforced concrete roof and thick brick build, simlar to those found on ww2 decoy bunkers, however it had a stone facade covering the brick. The frame and door are both wooden with a single broken yale lock, secured with a piece of chain bolted to the frame and door which gave me doubts that it was a bunker, however looking inside through the gap in the door, there was a small section concrete floor, followed by a very small brick wall, then a deep drop, however because of the limited viewpoint, i could not make out if there are any ladders or stairs leading down. There is a water pipe with a gate valve leading out of the hole which gives the impression that it could possibly be a disused underground reservior, as there are no signs indicating that it is currently owned by any of the water companies. Looking at old OS maps there was a small reservior nearby, but this has been long filled in and not used since the late 50s/ early 60s. I will try to find an access point to the building in the next week as the spot is very popular with walkers on weekends.
20200119_145603.jpg
20200119_150449.jpg
20200119_145536(0).jpg

The drop is at least 6ft deep, however you cannot see anywhere near the bottom as there is only a gap in the bottom of the door.
20200119_201518.jpg

The old OS map showing the reservior, the building is just next the 908 marker.
TIA everyone!

Kidney

Weirdy Beardy
28DL Full Member
That very much looks like its constructed for pipe valve gear. I think you are right that it's to do with the resi.

tigger

mog
Regular User
Close to the Froggatt layby and remains of the council filter beds (which would be the compound below the 9 of the spot height you mentioned)....probably water related, small pump house or similar

Kidney

Weirdy Beardy
28DL Full Member
Couldnt make out the internals in the photo above but we have an EWS tank and pump room at work that looks very similar.

typeR

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
A pumphouse did cross my mind with the isolator valve. Looking at what is described on the document, a spring would be likely be the purpose of the building. Just out of interest as well, where did you source the old documents from?

Last edited:

typeR

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Couldnt make out the internals in the photo above but we have an EWS tank and pump room at work that looks very similar.
To be honest, the only pipework i could make out was the small metal pipe leading out of the hole with the isolator valve. I'm planning on returning to try and get some more detailed photos inside on the way from another location at the end of the week. After reading the doc @tigger posted, I am expecting some variation of a pump room.

tigger

mog
Regular User
A pumphouse did cross my mind with the isolator valve. Looking at what is described on the document, a spring would be likely be the purpose of the building. Just out of interest as well, where did you source the old documents from?
The internet might be largely made up of complete twaddle but there is a lot of old historical data archived. Have a search for boreholes* ......

*no, I don't mean Dan D's orifices ;)