Web
Analytics
Question - - Upgrading from a Nikon D60 | Photography and Video Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - Upgrading from a Nikon D60

CarbonLlama

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
So I currently have a nikon D60, shutter count about 20,000. I have the 18-55mm and 55-200mm vr kit lenses and a 35mm 1.8 lens, I also have the Jessops 360AFD flash.

I am thinking about investing some more money into my kit at the moment and I was thinking of getting a nikon D90 for around £150-200 on ebay. Would this be the right decision or should I stick to my D60 until I can invest in a newer body with more features?
Or should I just forget about the body and buy some more lenses? (and if so which ones?)

Many thanks in advance guys and gals :)

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
the things is if I upgrade bodies, lenses get cheaper as D60 doesn't have an internal focus motor while the D90 does, so I could buy cheaper lenses :rolleyes:
Didn't know that. So if you tried to use say a Sigma 10-20 or Tokina 11-16, they wouldn't auto-focus?

Not that it's a problem. I reckon we've all got them set on manual / infinity anyway.

Styru

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Do you shoot in RAW? - if the answer is no - you can upgrade your current camera, by switching from jpeg to RAW

Do you shoot in auto? - if you shoot in auto you can upgrade your current camera, by switching from auto to a proper setting

THB Lama - as you have yet to post any of your work - we are a bit in the dark here, as we don't know what you shoot, how you shoot, etc - keep your current camera - go out and use it (and post :thumb )

And please don't think this is being difficult - it's just that the bottom line is that there is no single answer - it depends so much on what you do with your kit.

CarbonLlama

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Do you shoot in RAW? - if the answer is no - you can upgrade your current camera, by switching from jpeg to RAW

Do you shoot in auto? - if you shoot in auto you can upgrade your current camera, by switching from auto to a proper setting

THB Lama - as you have yet to post any of your work - we are a bit in the dark here, as we don't know what you shoot, how you shoot, etc - keep your current camera - go out and use it (and post :thumb )

And please don't think this is being difficult - it's just that the bottom line is that there is no single answer - it depends so much on what you do with your kit.
I have only recently started shooting in RAW to be honest, I like my photos to be perfect straight out of the camera and so I could never be bothered enough to run it through a program to convert them to JPEG later, I've only switched since I've started being commisioned to produce photos.

I can promise you I have never used any of the auto settings on my camera other than the fully auto mode when I let friends have a go with the camera :thumb

I'll get round to posting it soon, need to get some urbexing photos first though :D I think I will definately look into a wide angle lens though, i've been humming and harring over them for a while now. :)