real time web analytics
Urbex and Music | General Exploring Chat Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Urbex and Music

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User
Something a bit different here. This is something I've thought long and hard about although I'd imagine for many its something they have never considered. Does anyone feel like particular music 'fits' with their explorations?

For a lot of people I'm guessing its just whatever they're playing at the time or before/after, but I've gotten to the point where I actively seek out music now that suits the tone in my eyes. Stuff with ambience and a dark atmosphere tends to be what I go for as it seems to suit the places themselves, but genre-wise I feel like I've noticed a few others as well as myself gravitate towards either trip hop/instrumental hip hop, early dubstep, or the kinda chilled jungle/DnB stuff. I'd also expect people to go down the nostalgia route and any stuff from the 2000s when I first discovered urbex seems to do it for me.

I always felt like DJ Shadow really fitted the vibe and then I realised all along his music was used in Steve Duncan's 'Undercity' film which I used to love in my debut days. The 'Crack the Surface' short films are also a good example of music being used to convey the atmosphere. Another thing worth mentioning is the the Prodigy Invaders Must Die music video with its apocalyptic visuals and appearances of a few classic locations in the SE.

Some people are gonna have very different ideas I'm sure, I might just be talking total wack, but thought I'd throw it out there and see if I'm alone. Obviously there's no inherent relation between the two. Agree/disagree?

For those interested I've gradually added to my pre/post-explore Spotify playlist with tracks over the years (be warned there's a few odd choices in there), and it can't be just me that gets it as I've noticed a few people have started following it:
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/06IvjJGFxey8Mbz14jybFE?si=7ff52ba2ecc64101

Last edited:

Olkka

Chillin at the structure
Regular User
Yes I understand what you are saying. Certain ambient pieces i've heard enhance my memory associated with a particular explore, no real reason, not that i was playing them in the car whilst on the come down or whatever. These tend to be more drones than anything towards house personally. Some classical pieces like minor key Chopin works I associate with a particular experience too. Anything energetic like jungle or drum and bass doesn't do it for me even if the journey to get to the target is very rough and tumble, and I don't associate any music with 'apocalyptic settings' or decay or whatever, it's more about going back to memory of the experience and the stress/unsettlement it involved but from a distance .

KPUrban_

Surprisingly Unsurprising
Regular User
Now I think about it, there are certain tracks I listen to from time to time which seem to trigger a memory of a certain explore. And as you've said, there are certain peices which seem to fit will with certain explores.

The track itself doesn't necessary fit the atmosphere of a building, more the actual visit there.

Wastelandr

Regular User
Yes I understand what you are saying. Certain ambient pieces i've heard enhance my memory associated with a particular explore, no real reason, not that i was playing them in the car whilst on the come down or whatever. These tend to be more drones than anything towards house personally. Some classical pieces like minor key Chopin works I associate with a particular experience too. Anything energetic like jungle or drum and bass doesn't do it for me even if the journey to get to the target is very rough and tumble, and I don't associate any music with 'apocalyptic settings' or decay or whatever, it's more about going back to memory of the experience and the stress/unsettlement it involved but from a distance .

Yep it probably is all a matter of association. I also agree droning ambient stuff feels like it suits the nature of it.

Wastelandr

Regular User
Now I think about it, there are certain tracks I listen to from time to time which seem to trigger a memory of a certain explore. And as you've said, there are certain peices which seem to fit will with certain explores.

The track itself doesn't necessary fit the atmosphere of a building, more the actual visit there.

I see what you mean, I think in the way that explores can vary an awful lot different music can fit the mood. Sometimes it can be a very peaceful reflective hobby, other times it can be pretty tense and in the moment.

Andrew32

See a sticker, remove a sticker
28DL Full Member
Music is definitely subjective but I'm glad to see shiey in your playlist, he's exactly what I first thought

I do often listen to music while going through and editing photos, but while exploring I'd always be too on edge to listen to music, plus the general sounds of urbex can be interesting, especially with rain

I tend to associate certain music with urbex just because I listen to it while looking at these photos, that and finding some great shiey songs from his exploring vids

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Talking total wack, wack oh my lord you have to be from the 90s at least but for me it would be any Hip Hop from the 90s Wu Tang clan with all the stomping about or my fav is NWA with fuck the security. Ha ha

Wastelandr

Regular User
Talking total wack, wack oh my lord you have to be from the 90s at least but for me it would be any Hip Hop from the 90s Wu Tang clan with all the stomping about or my fav is NWA with fuck the security. Ha ha
I listen to all kinds of music old and new but for me electronic stuff fits the mood. Yeah exactly, so you do get it ahaha, all in our own ways :thumb

Wastelandr

Regular User
Music is definitely subjective but I'm glad to see shiey in your playlist, he's exactly what I first thought

I do often listen to music while going through and editing photos, but while exploring I'd always be too on edge to listen to music, plus the general sounds of urbex can be interesting, especially with rain

I tend to associate certain music with urbex just because I listen to it while looking at these photos, that and finding some great shiey songs from his exploring vids
Certainly is subjective. I could never listen to music whilst exploring, gotta have the eyes and ears open. Yep I often listen to stuff whilst editing pics and maybe that's part of it.

People no doubt are gonna have mixed opinions on shiey but I rate the guy even if he's a bit of a poser. He really nails creating an atmosphere from his videos to his music, bit of a creative genius in my eyes. To me urbex can be the source of a lot more inspiration beyond photography.

Samus

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I am very fond of listening to Synthwave when I am exploring, usually Kavinsky (Testarossa Autodrive being the current favourite song), I can be quite an anxious person and for some reasons, synthwave just fits my mood perfectly for that.
When I am actually inside however, it’s very low volume and only one earphone in, it’s more background music there as I am paying more attention to the sounds around me.

tarkovsky

SWC
Regular User
Interesting thread, and I'll probably end up repeating what's already been said, but....

I think all experiences benefit from being augmented by a soundtrack, and UE is no exception. As a matter of course, exploring isn't usually directly accompanied by this soundtrack (with the exception of drains on the rare occasion that I actually remember to pack my waterproof Bluetooth speaker). However, I think that the character and intensity of many UE experiences, and the way we reminisce to relive them after the event, is sometimes best evoked by particular sounds or soundscapes.
All explores have their own associated ambient noise - whether it's the hum of industry, the white noise of water running in a drain, the bird song in an early morning derp or the jarring scream of an unexpected alarm. So we go and we take photos, but that's only capturing one dimension of the experience. Whilst music won't directly replicate the sonic experience of a place, it might help to generate an associated mood. Music is an emotional thing, isn't it? And, as has been noted, it's also a personal, subjective thing, so everyone's associations and tastes will inevitably differ.
For what it's worth, my musical associations are also usually electronic and / or instrumental. Here's a short and non-definitive list of albums that come to mind.
  1. Tim Hecker - Ravedeath 1972
  2. Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works
  3. Guy Andrews - Our Spaces
  4. Bicep - Bicep
  5. Loscil - Monument Builders
  6. Godspeed You! Black Emperor- F sharp, A sharp, Infinity (note that Godspeed also have their own tenuous UE link via the soundtrack of the film 28 Days Later)
  7. Ben Frost - The Centre Cannot Hold
  8. Burial - Burial
That's enough w(h)ack from me.

Last edited:

Wastelandr

Regular User
Interesting thread, and I'll probably end up repeating what's already been said, but....

I think all experiences benefit from being augmented by a soundtrack, and UE is no exception. As a matter of course, exploring isn't usually directly accompanied by this soundtrack (with the exception of drains on the rare occasion that I actually remember to pack my waterproof Bluetooth speaker). However, I think that the character and intensity of many UE experiences, and the way we reminisce to relive them after the event, is sometimes best evoked by particular sounds or soundscapes.
All explores have their own associated ambient noise - whether it's the hum of industry, the white noise of water running in a drain, the bird song in an early morning derp or the jarring scream of an unexpected alarm. So we go and we take photos, but that's only capturing one dimension of the experience. Whilst music won't directly replicate the sonic experience of a place, it might help to generate an associated mood. Music is an emotional thing, isn't it? And, as has been noted, it's also a personal, subjective thing, so everyone's associations and tastes will inevitably differ.
For what it's worth, my musical associations are also usually electronic and / or instrumental. Here's a short and non-definitive list of albums that come to mind.
  1. Tim Hecker - Ravedeath 1972
  2. Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works
  3. Guy Andrews - Our Spaces
  4. Bicep - Bicep
  5. Loscil - Monument Builders
  6. Godspeed You! Black Emperor- F sharp, A sharp, Infinity (note that Godspeed also have their own tenuous UE link via the soundtrack of the film 28 Days Later)
  7. Ben Frost - The Centre Cannot Hold
  8. Burial - Burial
That's enough w(h)ack from me.

Cheers for this, that's the kind of thing I was interested in seeing. Of course it wouldn't be wise to play music mid-explore, but yeah maybe its more about reminiscing the experiences after. I think you've really nailed it with that second paragraph. I actually came across instruments someone had fashioned from rusty parts of an old oil refinery on an explore once, including actual guitar strings from rusty beams and various percussion things made from stones and old nails. Coolest and weirdest thing I've ever found. That really blurred the line between the natural ambience of places and music and relates to your point.

I'll get these albums on now myself :thumb funnily enough I've got Bicep's DLR in my playlist so there must be something in that