real time web analytics
Report - - Ushaw Collage Seminary Durham 02-2011 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Ushaw Collage Seminary Durham 02-2011

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Ushaw Collage Seminary Durham, visited with Oldskool on a beautiful sunny day i dont think we could have wished for a better day.Thanks to Bugsuperstar for the info.Ushaw collage or St Cathberts Collage Ushaw is a roman catholic seminary, it was founded at Douai as the English collage , Douai france in 1568 which moved to Ushaw moor west of Durham in 1808 and became a licensed hall of the university of Durham in 1968, both church and lay students study at the collage.the main buildings are of grade II listing the collage chapel is of grade II* listing and the chapel of St Michael is of grade I listing.The rectory was designed and built by pugin, as was the original chapel although this was later dismantled and replaced by the present buildings.The original collage buildings 1804-08 were designed by James Taylor.
I think it would be fair to say that it's the chapel that attracts people here as the rest of the buildings are quite ordinary and of nothing special, the chapel however is simply stunning and we must of spent a good few hours in there, all the original wall paintings and alter are something else the detail is outstanding. it's just nice to see that its still intact so much i just hope it stays that way for many years to come.
MOTTO
In Omnibus Sumentes Scutum Fidei
All things take the shield of faith
Est 1568
usha.jpg

ushaa.jpg

ushb.jpg
ushc.jpg

ushd.jpg

ushe.jpg

ushf.jpg
ushg.jpg