Web
Analytics
Report - - Ushaw college Durham August 2011 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk
  • Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections, plus Private & Local Groups and a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. However, creating an account allows you to search, post replies, start new threads, use bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems. Also, it removes some ads.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Ushaw college Durham August 2011

The Stig

Urbex = Nosey Bastard
Regular User
#1
Visited with Tassadar and Nic81 as taxi driver/sandwich delivery person :p

Whilst Mr Tass is on his north east mini road trip, this place wasnt on the "todo" list but "it will be f'@*^<ing done list" and after managing to get in we made our way right to the crem de-crem of rooms...the chapel :cool:

History from Durham website –
Junior Roman Catholic seminary chapel. 1857-9 by E.W. Pugin after competition. Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar plinth and dressings; roof of graduated Lakeland slates with stone gable copings. Gothic Revival style. Nave with south transept; Lady chapel on east of transept. High pointed arched windows, 2-light in nave, 4-light in transept and 5-light in east front, under dripmoulds in buttressed bays; diagonal buttresses to transept, set-back buttresses at east and west ends. Sill string, stepped to large windows and to 6-foil Lady chapel window. Gablets on buttresses and on kneelers of steeply-pitched corbelled roof. Stone cross finials. INTERIOR: has painted plaster with long wall-posts on angel corbels supporting arch-braced panelled roof with stencil decoration. 2-centred north entrance and organ arches. Much rich decoration, including painted moulded dado rail with naturalistic leaf stops; painted decoration of Lady chapel circa 1890 by Rev. Henry Gillow. Caen stone high altar with marble shafts and alabaster tabernacle arch; high-relief carved roundels in altar and scenes from life of St. Aloysius in reredos. Canopied statue of Our Lady, the Mother of Jesus, by Hoffman on north side of altar. West bay of north wall contains altar of St. Innocent, 1882 by Charles Hadfield with marble front and shafts, and Caen stone crocketed canopies over silver-plated reliquary doors, studded with crystal and purple stones. Lady chapel has richly-carved altar with frontal painted by A.M. Rossi. A second statue by Hoffman now removed to main college at entrance to chapel of St. Bede. Organ painted in Gothic style by Bevington. C19 stained glass includes some by Hardman.

DPP_0016.jpg


DPP_0003.jpg


DPP_0007.jpg
DPP_0008.jpg


DPP_0019.jpg


DPP_0036.jpg
DPP_0024.jpg


DPP_0021.jpg

Thanks for looking
 

Similar threads