Web
Analytics
Report - - Ushaw home farm, Durham | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Ushaw home farm, Durham

the darkside

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Recent solo visit, watched this place for a while then seen a report, so decided I would check it out too.
So, here;'s my report. Thanks for viewing.
History;-
Grade II* Victorian “model” farm built by Catholic college abandoned in 2002 but now leased to a Trust who hope to give it new life as a Heritage Skills Institute.

This grade II* listed farm building dates to 1852, when it was built in Gothic style by Ushaw College, founded in 1808 as a Catholic seminary by refugees from the English Catholic school at Douai in France.
It was the height of the ‘high farming’ movement when landowners and farmers were constructing new model farms, in light of the intensification of farming methods in the 19th century. Ushaw features cattle byres, haylofts, a milking parlour and dairy. Used by the Ushaw College up to 1972, the buildings were then let to a farm holding, before falling into disuse in 2002.
The site has been added to the Register and is now leased to the North of England Civic Trust has hopes to give it a new life as a Heritage Skills Institute, English Heritage is working with the Trust to assess if this could be a sustainable future for this remarkable set of buildings. If a bid to the Heritage Lottery Fund is successful then the Institute would be open in 2014/15.
IMG_59541_zpsgyu5rxoa.jpg

IMG_59551_zpsjdjmk38o.jpg

IMG_59581_zpsflok92nq.jpg

IMG_59591_zpsw1fhmyti.jpg

IMG_59611_zpstqtrgxg1.jpg

IMG_59641_zpslnzgifhx.jpg

IMG_59681_zpszr2w2sil.jpg

IMG_59761_zpsgzgciiqj.jpg

IMG_59691_zpsnp3hz3wf.jpg

IMG_59711_zpsjoigce9m.jpg

IMG_59811_zpskxmqrgfv.jpg

IMG_59831_zpsbdskztjh.jpg

IMG_59861_zpsua4ugvu8.jpg

IMG_60041_zps6jggqwx6.jpg

IMG_60111_zpsc4btmfte.jpg

IMG_60141_zpsrstjriud.jpg

IMG_60201_zpsf0gea6c4.jpg

dave

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Good pics i take it you didnt encounter Mr Angry then we did sadly after a short time figuring out our access good or bad timing depends how you look at it.

the darkside

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Will Knot, thank you mate, been to that college, done it a few times.
Dave, mr.angry? nope, never saw a soul all the time I was there, stealth mode mate. lol

the darkside

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
He claims to be the owner of the place he said would you like it if came into your living room tbh my living room is a bit more secure than his.

haha. No, never seen him at all. I did notice the house right next to it is occupied, but only me in there at that time.

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
Nice set of shots. That one looking into the stable with the pillars on either side is a nice angle. I really like the one of the roof beams too. Good to see this one again.

You did well not to bump into the angry guy. He was roaming around when we were there, but we just explored upstairs until he went away. I think he owns the farm behind it and uses part of the site to store some of his equipment.

james howarth

28DL Member
28DL Member
the place is boarded up, but there are still easy access point into the farm building its self! 2 unboarded windows in a tunel like area! the house is still easy enterance as well, and i also bumped into the 'farm owner' lol, not sure he actually owned it but he said so! be careful of him!